SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Turan brass or Square deal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turan brass or Square deal Login/Join 
posted
Started reloading on the SQ Deal using Turan brass and had some primers looking like this.

The brass is once fired and looks to be made in Turkey and has not had any malfunctions
TIA Greg

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 263 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Are those new primers loaded in the brass on the Square Deal?

They looked crimped primer pockets and that would explain it. Those need swaged to remove the crimp for the primers to be seated and not deformed.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Are those new primers loaded in the brass on the Square Deal?

They looked crimped primer pockets and that would explain it. Those need swaged to remove the crimp for the primers to be seated and not deformed.

I don't swage, I chamfer the brass (trim out crimp). Both work well.

And you're right, that's what needs to be done.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response, one more step I guess.
Can't complain though this is a training area for
LEO and the supply is consistent. Maybe its time to upgrade presses 750? Not that would eliminate the
crimp removal but would lessen the other steps time wise

Posts: 263 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg1147:
Thanks for the response, one more step I guess.
Can't complain though this is a training area for
LEO and the supply is consistent. Maybe its time to upgrade presses 750? Not that would eliminate the
crimp removal but would lessen the other steps time wise

In what way do you think upgrading from a Dillon SDB to a Dillon 750 will lessen the other steps time wise? They're both automatic progressive presses.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rationalizing a 750 would be good for 5.56 and 308 but the single stage press will suffice for now. Maybe a .45 ACP conversion kit for the SQ D.
thanks for all the input.

Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Dillon makes a very nice primer pocket swageing device... works well and not very expensive.

RCBS makes a swageing kit for use in standard single stage presses... it also works... just not as fast or elegant as teh Dillon.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post