SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Neck tension issues with FC 9mm brass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck tension issues with FC 9mm brass Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Have just started a 9mm loading binge and have noticed some issues with lack of neck tension, almost entirely with Federal brass (FC headstamp). Bullets seat way to easily and the bullet can be spun in the case mouth or easily pushed.

I think I've lost about 8 round so far out of 300ish. 6 of the problem rounds are FC. One was Tula brass and I forget the last one.

Anyone else have this problem?

Can it be corrected in any way, or am I just out these primed rounds?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
When I was using Hornady dies I had the same problem so I bought a Lee undersize sizing die. That resolved the setback problem but it took a lot more arm to size the brass. Since switching to Dillon and using their dies I haven't had to use my Lee die yet.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a full length resize when you decap. Put adequate bell on it when you flare, but not too much. After seating, crimp in a separate step. I use a lee factory crimp die set just enough to take out the bell. No issues with bullet movement, setback, etc.

If you're able to spin the bullet in the case after seating, you may be flaring it too much or driving the flare die too deep into the brass. It doesn't take much: just enough flare to allow the bullet to start into the case without nicking or gouging the bullet.

Use a case gauge to verify that the finished round will chamber properly. If the case is loose enough that you can physically move the bullet, then it should also not drop into a case gauge; evidence that it needs to be crimped. Auto crimping isn't really a roll crimp like revolver ammunition, especially on taper cases. Just a slight compressing of the case exterior, which should give all the tension you need.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Crimp does not hold the bullet on straight wall (taper) pistol ammo for simi-autos. It's all about friction fit in the neck area with the bullet. Sound like the expander is too large or your flaring the mouth too much. Try backing off the expander and see if that helps. Federal are know to have softer brass and thinner walls. May want to measure your bullets too. I've seen a few that are sized too small, which will cause this problem.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
9mm, .40 and .45 all do fine with enough crimp to remove case mouth flare. Loaded many thousands of competition loads, lead and coated, all in Dillon dies. Measure the case mouth of factory loaded ammo, mimic that number for jacketed hard ball or HP's. Plated and lead bullet crimp will be less than the factory, especially plated.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue68f100:
Crimp does not hold the bullet on straight wall (taper) pistol ammo for simi-autos. It's all about friction fit in the neck area with the bullet. Sound like the expander is too large or your flaring the mouth too much. Try backing off the expander and see if that helps. Federal are know to have softer brass and thinner walls. May want to measure your bullets too. I've seen a few that are sized too small, which will cause this problem.

What he said.
Federal is the thinnest brass.
If a Lee U die for resizing doesn't take care of it, sell the brass for scrap.
I had a friend give me some once-fired, .45 brass, from when he shot on the pistol team, back in the 50s. I tried loading them, but, they apparently got hard, from age, and sprung back, after trying to re-size them, and the bullets would fall in to the cases.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under size bullets? Jacketed should be no less than 0.355" dia. Lead alloy, a thousandth or two bigger.

Next: I'd suspect your dies. I've loaded with Dillon, Hornady, and Lee sizing dies and none of them had any problems with any version of Federal brass. Either your sizing die is not reducing the case enough or your expansion/flaring die is over-doing its job. For the latter, you can chuck the sizing spud up in a drill press and use wet/dry sanding paper to reduce its size. Finish up with a fine piece (600 grit or finer). Do this gradually, 0.001" reduction then try the bullets you're using.

It's worth restating however: it's the inside dia. of the case that holds auto bullets in place during chambering, not the crimp. HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post