SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Best way to clean Dillon dies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to clean Dillon dies Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've been troubled of late with an issue with my belling die on a 550B sticking, particularly with new brass. After doing some searching, I found a video of a guy explaining the reasons for this (apparently it's not uncommon) as well as the solutions. One of the solutions is lube.

So...I first tried out my homebrew Dillon lube and it worked OK. Then I tried out some dry lube recommended by the video guy. This worked smooth as butter for the first few rounds of brass (on the sizing/depriming die). Then I noticed some squeaking and it getting more difficult to cycle.

I removed that die from the toolhead and it's all gunked up inside from the lanolin graphite mixture.

So what is the best way to clean that bugger out? Hoppes #9? Walnut tumble? Sonic?

Thoughts?

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cleaned the crimp die with a bore brush and solvent.

That much grease in the "powder funnel" does not sound like a good idea.

The aftermarket expander/funnel for those funky two piece cases has a groove around it so as to reduce the area against the case mouth.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'm just now in the process of setting up a new 550C, and I noticed in the manual they say that it's not unheard for new cases to stick in the bell die. They recommend cleaning them in a tumbler first. Didn't say why, my guess is the fine dust from the media serves as a lubricant of sorts.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I clean dies with Hoppes 9 & a patch on a rod, normally. I use a pipe cleaner at times.

For lube when resizing it’s mostly ‘Imperial Die Wax’. There are other methods that work for many.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need, at least to start, a compatible solvent. Lanolin is very hard to get rid of, from what I've heard. You could soak the dies in 99% isopropyl alcohol to start. You could keep doing that, swapping out the fluid until the concentration is low enough for it to no longer matter, but that seems wasteful.

Perhaps brake cleaner or engine degreaser would do the job of getting rid of the remnants?

I use an ultrasonic cleaner and One Shot lube. I ended up having to start doing 2 baths - after decapping and after sizing - because the stuff burns off and leaves a sooty mess everywhere. You might be able to use a solution for steel parts once you get the majority of it off, but again it all depends on the solvents involved. I have put isopropyl alcohol in the US before. I just don't recommend it if you're doing it indoors.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Here's the video if anyone else is interested in how to fix this issue.

I've only noticed this with new brass (before) and lately all my brass since I started tumbling with stainless pins. The brass, according to this fella, gets too clean...not unlike new brass. I never had the problem when I used to use walnut media as the dust acted as a lube.

I think I'll just try taking the depriming pin out and going after it with a bore brush and good 'ol #9 to start with and see if that'll work. I guess it would be easier to drop it in the ultrasonic bath but I wasn't sure it that would harm it at all.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I never do anything with mine, never cleaned it in the 5 years or so I have owned it. do you use allot of case lube? 223 is the only brass I lube.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
do you use allot of case lube?

No. Never have, on the 550, until this issue. But in thinking back, I didn't have the issue until loading new brass or SS tumbled brass. For the first couple of years, all I was reloading was walnut tumbled used brass. No problem whatsoever.

I use the 550 for 44, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt. 45-70 I load on a separate RCBS press and I do load those with my homebrew Dillon lube.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Have a couple friends who do the SS tumbled brass thing. One of them gave me a bunch of them to try.

They required quite a bit more force on my progressive press than brass tumbled in media and I found a little lube (using a carbide sizer die) helped a lot.

I decided I'd stick with walnut/corncob.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I decided I'd stick with walnut/corncob.

Seems like a good plan. I do like that the SS media makes them come out looking like new, but the extra hassle just isn't worth it.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I clean my dies with brake cleaner...one shot softens up anything in it and I wipe it with a patch on a pistol cleaning rod.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post