SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    How Sturdy A Bench Do You Need?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Sturdy A Bench Do You Need? Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I appreciate the massive 4x4, 2x4, and 2x6 suggestions, but I'm actually going to a fair bit of trouble to remodel the aforementioned room to look good. So, while I'm not interested in form without function, neither am I interested in an ungainly-looking beast of a bench suitable for hammering-out car fenders Wink

Some time ago, in another reloading bench thread, a member posted that he used an Xtreme Garage® 92" W x 22" D Adjustable Metal Workbench Frame from Menard's

with two pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated atop one another. He apparently found that sufficiently sturdy. I might be inclined to go that way, except a height of 32 inches is insufficient.

The way to optimize bench height for standing is to stand straight up, put your hands just in front of you with your arms more-or-less straight down, palms flat, and measure the distance to the floor. For me that comes out to just shy of 36 inches.

The adjustable-height bench I'm looking at has a 300 lb. weight limit, btw.
IM estimation 22" width by 92" length is too narrow. On a free standing bench, nope.

I build a similar frame out of 2" angle, used 1x3 tube for legs,
mounted a solid core 3'0 door as a top,

also had 4 drawers out of a file safe, and welded a support for them on it,

works like a charm,

painted the drawers and frame Dillon blue, and left the table top natural,

it's actually a bit too deep, but give me plenty of room for a tool chest and storage on the far side,

currently has a Dillon 550, SDB and a Forster Co-Ax on it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

How about a seriously overbuilt cabinet?

Now that's a nice job.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ What's overbuilt about it? Confused

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
^^^ What's overbuilt about it? Confused

Nothing, when used for reloading. Seriously overbuilt for storing paper towels.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post