SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Vihtavuori powder users - seeking advice on pistol powder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vihtavuori powder users - seeking advice on pistol powder Login/Join 
posted
As far as calibers to reload go I have most of them but 9mm, .38, .45, are my primaries. My loading desire is to match factory loads for practice and defense. I have the Lee, Lyman, and Hornady, reloading manuals so I have book data but what I'm looking for is real world experience with N320, N330, N340, and N350.

For those who use these powders:
- Do you have a go-to powder?
- If so, what about it makes preferred over the others?
- Have you noticed if Vihtavuori is any cleaner than other powders you have used?
- any other thoughts on this brand of powders?

As always - thanks in advance!

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I got into reloading because I'm a cheap bastard.
Those powders are a might on the over priced side for me.
We have great brands in the USA.
I have used many brands and last two decades its has mostly been Hodsgon .
I used win,solo,Imr,alliant,accurate pwders.
Do not think you can accurately duplicate what the factory does ,they use blends.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use N320 extensively. In 9mm, 3.2gr N320 under 147gr Black Bullet International - coated projectile. This gets me about 830 fps. Its like shooting cotton balls.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for N320

I use it for my .38 specials that I use in competition.

It's more expensive and sometimes hard to find but its worth it.

I say it's clean burning

Clean burning to me means no left over unburned powder to get blown back in to the gun possible jamming things up,

Clean burning does not mean never having to clean your gun.

It drops consistent through my powder measure,
And maintains power factor through temperature changes.

I usually buy it in 4 lb jugs to get the price down a bit per shot.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use 320 for 9mm jhp, but, for coated bullets, I use Sport Pistol. FYI In ALL of MY pistols, jhps are most accurate.
In my short, 43 years of reloading experience, and an IDPA, and USPSA shooter, there's no better powder for .45 than VV310.
I don't remember if it was the Army, or Marines that shoot a Nosler 185 jhp, with vv310 behind them, for their accuracy load.
It has been outstanding in any .45 I've tried them in. Obviously the absolute most accurate, would be once fired brass, that was fired in the pistol you are loading for.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I heard sport pistol is like VV N320 but yet to try it.

N320 is great in my 9mm and 40 USPSA loads. Extremely soft shooting and clean.

I don't mind the extra cost...

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I use most of the pistol powders mentioned for USPSA, Steel Challenge and Defensive Pistol matches. I also have alternatives tested and on hand in the event my favorites are not handy locally. Those I like as backups include AA#2, HS-6, AutoComp, WST, WSF, CFE-P, Silhouette, True Blue and 231. Some of these are best suited for a specific bullet wt/style and others more versatile. Many years of tinkering and volume shooting shake out what which ones in my data I can substitute.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
Not a caliber you mentioned but for 357sig full power loads, I use VV N350 under a Montana Gold 125gr JHP bullet. 8.8 grains gives me an average of 1416 fps with a spread of 26 fps for a deviation of 9.0. 8.6 grains tighten that up a bit for an average of 1391 fps with a spread of 10 fps and a standard deviation of 3.0.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3N38... 147XTP~1200 fps in 9mm

Like a 357Sig power level

Posts: 649 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
N133 with 120gr B-Tips in my 7mmBR XP100 gives me 2,555 fps SD 12

For years used 3N37 for 9mm 115 & 124gr although I've moved on to Ramshot Zip

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I use 340 in .45ACP when I can get it on sale. It is cleaner than WST in that caliber.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post