SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Winchester 231 for 45 ACP?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 231 for 45 ACP? Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Would Winchester 231 work good in 45 ACP?

I haven't loaded the round in years. I think I was using Unique.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I use HP38, basically the same thing as 231. Works ok...had to get up near max to get even close to a complete powder burn, and it's still messy. My meter hates it, too. When I finish up my current supply I'm switching back to Unique.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I shot many thousands of rounds of .45 ACP 200gr LSWC's back when I was shooting IPSC stuff, all loaded with 231 to major power level. I never had any issues with it. I don't recall what the charge weight was. Unique is good too. IIRC it was quite a bit smokier, but that could have been the lube on the bullets I was using. It was about 35 years ago now.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Unique changed the formulation somehow so it was cleaner a number of years ago and it's not bad these days.

231 will work fine for .45 ACP.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used 231 since the early ‘80s for lighter loads in .45.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have used 231 for .45acp and 9mm for many years. I have had no problems with it.

Posts: 5606 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Red Dot and Unique here. Both work well enough for me.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've loaded a lot of 45 with W231 and don't have any real complaints. I've got an 8# jug unopened and a couple 1# I'm working through.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's help.

I may load up a few rounds from 231 and unique to see which I like best.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Win 231 (equivalent to HP38 in current manuf.) is my go-to for .45 ACP loads. With 200 gr LSWC's, I load 5.0 to 5.2 gr. for 800 fps out of my 1911's and an ancient Smith model 1955 Target.

With hard ball, 230's, I up the load to 5.4 - 5.5 gr to match the government military load. Both are superbly accurate in my guns.

I don't like Unique (affectionately known as "flaming dirt" by some) in the .45 ACP for it's +- 0.2 gr charge variance with my measures. 231 or HP38 meter exceptionally well.

Best regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like Win-231/Hp-38, use it with various handgun loads.

Hodgdon had a fairly recent comparison, calling HP-38 ‘older technology’. I like Titegroup also.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.c...ng-powder-efficiency

With some reloaders, Titegroup gets disparaged as a potential of a double charge. That can be true with many, it’s also slower on most charts than Bullseye, another older school powder.

I try to bridge the gap between old favorites, but willing to try new powders. The last few years, availability factors in heavily. I will say, 4-8 pounds of Titegroup lasts a long time.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post