SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Powder for highest velocities out of short barrel 300 BLK?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for highest velocities out of short barrel 300 BLK? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
What powders will get me the most velocity out of a 9” 300 BLK? Specifically using 125 and 110 gr bullets. Trying to get my practice ammo closer to POI with the factory stuff I keep ready (SIG 125 gr fmj and Gorilla ammo loaded with 110 Barnes TacTX).

Currently have only tried CFE BLK and IMR 4227. CFE provides woefully low velocity at this barrel length with 125gr Hornady fmj. The IMR gets closer at the top end of the loads (like .2 gr down from max), but still falls well over 120ish FPS short vs the factory SIG fmj load.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
19gr of 4227 under a 110gr Hornady VMax gets me about 2120 fps out of a 8.3” barrel and kills hogs dead. That is a compressed round straight from Hornady. That same round gets around 2250 fps out of my 16” RARR.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve got some Vmax 110gr bless I can try with that load. Chrono’ed the Gorilla 110 TacTX and got a five round avg or 2030 fps. Will try the cheaper 110 gr tipped bullets first, rather than chucking 75 cents a pill down range handloading the Barnes.

What OAL are you loading the Vmax to? Normally I just load to the cannelure, nut not in this case, I suppose.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try H110, 18.2 Min 20.2 Max, off the Barnes page.

Posts: 19 | Registered: June 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I’ve got some Vmax 110gr bless I can try with that load. Chrono’ed the Gorilla 110 TacTX and got a five round avg or 2030 fps. Will try the cheaper 110 gr tipped bullets first, rather than chucking 75 cents a pill down range handloading the Barnes.

What OAL are you loading the Vmax to? Normally I just load to the cannelure, nut not in this case, I suppose.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post