SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading notes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading notes Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
1.) So what do you guys do to keep notes? notebook, xL spreadsheet, 3x5 cards

2.) What info do you capture?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11234 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a full notebook of every loading session on a single page.

It logs every component and lot numbers.

It logs measurements and manipulations done to the brass, ie annealed, neck sized, FL size, bushing size, mandrel size.

So I can track any changes that I see at the range or trace any changes that become apparent.

If you drop me an email (listed in my profile), I can forward you a digital Word Document.

Most of my shooting friends call me very anal about this. But, I can see the benefit.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the answer to your question as well - especially the spread sheet part.

For pistol rounds, I use a index card as a "build sheet". I list:

Caliber
1) Type if brass whether mixed or one make and x's fired.
2) Bullet weight and manufacturer along with style.
3) Primer.
4) Powder and charge.
5) OAL.

Date and number of rounds in the package are marked at the bottom. Any notes as far as accuracy or reliability go on the bottom of the sheet at time of firing. The sheet then gets filed away in my build sheet box for reference.

For rifle, I shoot at a paper plate with the load data and model rifle on it and then save the paper plate or target to measure or compare at home along with the build sheet.

It's simple and works for me but I'd like to put something on the PC for quick reference.

All chrony data is already in PDF format on my desktop.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I use a 5x8 paper tablet, kept in a cover on my reloading desk.

In the top margin I have the caliber.

On subsequent lines I have;
Bullet
Case
Powder
Primer
COL

Then, I'll have several lines marked 1-5 (sometimes more) with each line indicating the exact powder weight. When I get back from the range I'll make note or a mark next to the powder weight I selected as best.

If I re-write the sheet, I'll skip the numbered lines and just note the weight I have chosen for that particular cartridge.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I only load pistol for matches, some some factors are not as important as they are for precision shooters. Brass is usually predominately one brand, but I do mix in cases from factory rounds that I also reload, so brass is not specified. I do mark and keep only my own brass, so there is a provenance to it (how many reloads). I keep a spreadsheet, updated after each new load is worked up/tested. Columns are:

Pistol mfg./model
BBL length
Primer mfg./type
Bullet mfg.
Bullet type
Bullet weight
OAL
Crimp size
Powder mfg.
Powder weight
FPS
PF (power factor automatically calculated from bullet weight and fps)
Date
Temperature
Comments

The line with the currently used charge is highlighted in color. I keep each caliber on a separate sheet within the spreadsheet.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a large folder with dividers for calibers. In those subsections, I have pages that list what handgun(s) these will be loaded for, date, bullet manufacturer,weight and type-----powder and weight----primer brand and size---the OAL.

Below this information there is space for information as to how it performed.

It is simple, but has worked for me for decades!!

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I log all my work in Word documents, don't forget to do a backup a couple times a month.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excel.
Bullet manufacturer, Nominal bullet weight (weight on the box), Actual bullet weight (average of ten random bullets), Bullet type (lead, jacketed, plated, HP, RN, SWC, etc.), powder, powder (charge) weight, Primer, COL, gun used, Accuracy (generally 5 shot group at 25 yards), Accuracy w/o called flyers, Date shot, and Notes.

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Excel I set it up for rifle and pistol round count caliber gun manufacturer reloading data per caliber

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am old school, loose leaf notebook. I am also less likely to have technology lose it for me.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For rifle; powder, bullet, case, primer, OAL, groups size & distance & vel & std deviation along with range conditions.
Pretty much the same for pistol but less concerned about range conditions & std dev.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So I scanned the Sierra manual for the calibers I load, then put that into a sheet cover, the. On another page I printed off the recipe I use for that caliber.

COAL
trim
Powder
Weight
Bullet

Then I left space for handwritten notes if needed.

I prefer something I can have right in front of me when loading, and not have to lug the big ole Sierra book around...plus it doesn’t carry info for cast bullets-but my recipe does.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11234 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fast Reference Idea....

I put up a 2ft X 3ft Dry Erase Board. I write down all the current rounds and recipes that I am using. Thus it is easy to refer to the "Board" to get the current plan. When the data changes - erase and re-write. Simple.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post