SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Why Reload Common Calibers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Reload Common Calibers Login/Join 
posted
Hi,
I've been reloading for 40 years, rifle, pistol and shotgun...Lately I've been shooting 9s, 45s and 10mm a lot, shot up most of my old ammo and started reloading replacements. While some of my components are older, I priced out replacements..1K bullets 160, powder-30, brick primers-90 incl sipping = 280.00, I can get 1000 PMC delivered for 304.00. I have not spec'd out the others but tell me why I should continue pulling the handle on 9s..or shotguns for that matter...

Posts: 36 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Agreed but the potential of 1000 or 300 each of any of those calibers is what still keeps me in the game.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, it is my “quiet place” where only I go (and this becomes more important as one gets older - at least for me)

and

It allows me to load all types of rounds that I would not go out and purchase like 300 AAC B/O sub-sonic rounds as well as powder puff 9mm rounds for shooting at local Steel Challenge matches. Just my reasons.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I only load 2 calibers:
.40S&W
.223 Remington

For me, it WILL be a cost savings because I bought all the components to load THOUSANDS of rounds of each way back when those costs were relatively cheap...circa 2013.

Also, as sigarm stated, it will be a sort of "respite" when I'm no longer working and want something to do in retirement. I'm excited about adding a Dillon RL1100 to include a Mr. Bullet Feeder and DAA Magnetic Powder Check for loading .40S&W. I'll keep my existing RCBS Pro 2000 and Rock Chucker setup to load .223.

SIGforum continues to cost me money! Big Grin Razz Big Grin Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Some rounds have more savings than others. .357 mag was far cheaper to reload last time I made some up. Almost any rifle round will be cheaper.

9mm may not be worth it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading long enough that it's become more of a chore than a hobby. Any more I only reload ammo that's either for my match rifles to optimize performance or for calibers that are relatively expensive or hard to find commercially.

.45 ACP
.45 Colt
.45-70
6.5 Creedmoor
.223 Rem match ammo; blasting and SD/SHTF ammo I buy in bulk
.38 Spl wadcutters (hard to find and a little spendy when you do)

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do not wish the reload then do not.
I enjoy it! I have accumulated a lot tools to speed the process up. My reloads are more accurate than any thing I can buy. For new people yeah during different industry cycles factory ammo might be cheaper than you can reload for like 9
MM and 223. It is not like the says of going to Wally World and getting 9MM Winchester 100ct Value Packs for $10.00 plus tax or going to Galyans and getting a case of Winchester 3131A out the door for $150 per K plus tax. But, then we talk performance....and my reloads are KING of HILL!

Shooting and Hunting are hobbies! Enjoy how you all see fit!

Posts: 12 | Registered: July 21, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
9mm bullets are running around a hundred per 1k not 160. At today's primer prices it's not very attractive from a price standpoint but if I already have primers and powder I'm still shooting pretty cheap.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Where are you getting them for 100? I use jacketed 115-124, not plated.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
Never mind, I just did a quick search...
Cheep 9mm

Thanks 60

posted Hide Post
We all reload for different reasons, I started to save money but soon realized that accuracy and consistency went hand in hand, especially in rifle and shotgun loads, some pistol too. I also load some rounds that are not really available any other way, black powder like 44-40, 38-40, even 38spl-BP not mention custom rifle loadings.

After a little inventory and consideration I think I'll load 9s that I use on paper games and shoot commercial for steel shooting and plinking, probably the same for 45ACP. Things like 10mm, 357 and etc will still be hand loaded. I do enjoy hand loading but with age probably not as much as before. I love classic cars and have always done as much work as I could with what I have available, but the older I get the more willing I am to throw money at them and just enjoy using the car...

Thanks for the reply's,

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m mostly just doing oddball cartridges now, older milsurps. I don’t have a prairie dogging trip planned, plenty of ammo for most already, reloads & factory.

Some comes down to a ‘hobby’, may not always save that much, can still like to do it.

Last November my centerfire deer season was 3 shots, 2 to confirm the zero, then one for the 8 pointer.

With the muzzle-loader, 4 shots, 1 coyote, 2 anterless & a 10 pointer, IL.

For the most part, I’d rather use hand loaded ammo than factory.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Depending on your reasoning, handloads can be very much more accurate! However, you need to put in the work: settle on a particular bullet style and weight, chronograph your loads, measure your accuracy at whatever range is effective for you. Once you eliminate as many variables as possible (including firearm), your handloads are really cheap!

I plan on retiring soon and will be meticulously going through this process for all the calibers I reload. So far, I've only been making plinking ammo!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I only reload rifle rounds, it may be cheaper than factory and maybe even more so today with reloading supplies from better times.
Mostly reload for accuracy and I would imagine using current reloading supplies costs it would still save a bit, maybe not a whole lot though.
Don't see reloading handgun in the plans except maybe 357 magnum.

Posts: 22916 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
It’s been so long since I’ve had to buy factory ammo it seems a bit naughty to go down the ammo aisle. I did get a case of reasonable priced m855 a while ago. Nobody saw me coming from behind the curtain.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are serious about shotgun sports you'll be shooting 410 and 28 gauge. It costs me 6.48 to load a box of 410, it costs 16 to 22 dollars to purchase a box of 410. Nuff said on that.

As for why I shoot mostly 410, it requires more precision, the recoil won't ever build a flinch, and once you gain the skills 410 is totally fun to shoot. I will also note the key with 410 is to shoot it just like a 12 gauge but pay closer attention to your shot placement.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post