SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    I need a recipe for my incoming Webley .45 ACP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a recipe for my incoming Webley .45 ACP Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I have a Webley MK VI inbound from Gunbroker.

I reload .45 ACP already, but realize I need to "download" my rounds for the gun. I have 200 Grain bullets and Clays powder.

Does anyone have a load?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m kinda thinking it’s an uncommon gun & chambering. I don’t even see data on the Hodgdon site for the round, likely in older manuals though.

There are some quirks as they talk about ‘shaved cylinders’ & such. You may have to just do more googling & go from there.

Since I doubt if you’re gearing up for grizzly range hikes, some very casual loads should do. Here’s one article about the Webley, mostly for my own education.

https://www.tactical-life.com/...the-webley-revolver/

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Looking at my Lyman cast bullet load data for the 45acp shows 200 grain cast and clays powder starting at 3.9 grains at 701fps in a universal receiver with a 5” barrel.

The book doesn’t have a load for Webley .455 ammo at all.

Sorry, prolly not much help

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11239 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Looking at my Lyman cast bullet load data for the 45acp shows 200 grain cast and clays powder starting at 3.9 grains at 701fps in a universal receiver with a 5” barrel.

The book doesn’t have a load for Webley .455 ammo at all.

Sorry, prolly not much help

Yeah I started with 3.6, but I don't think it had enough "umph".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on my own experiences with a "shaved" MkVI, I'd forgo the .45 ACP bullets. I found that .451-.452 bullets bouncing down the larger bore of the Webley resulted in poor to mediocre accuracy and more leading than I was willing to tolerate. There's a possibility that heavier, pure lead swaged bullets would "bump" up to bore diameter, but I wasn't willing to use the heavier powder charges needed to accomplish this.

I had much better luck with swaged lead bullets in the 250 grain range designed for .45 Colt; particularly the hollow base bullets from Remington, which are apparently no longer made. Best powders I tried were Bullseye and SR-7625. The gun used a cartridge with a heavy bullet at low velocity, so unless the sights have been modified, lighter bullets won't hit close to your aiming point.

I'll have to dig through my notes and old articles to find more info.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post