SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What did you do today in reloading-land?
Page 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 98
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today in reloading-land? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Are you actually ordering 14k 147gr FMJ, or plated?

Where are you buying FMJ, and at what price?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend, I organized my reloading componants and then loaded up 1000 45ACP 230gr Zeros. Since I got my 45 Octane, I've been shooting a lot more 45's lately Smile

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Got a call yesterday from my buddy to come look at a garbage sack in the back of his truck...he didn't know what it was (he's skittish about ammo/guns for some reason, but he and his dad reload). Got over there and it was just a LOT of empty .223 boxes mixed in with some .40 S&W. After I tried to lift the bag, I heard the tell-tale sign of brass!! We sifted through all the empty boxes to the bottom of the garbage bag and discovered a small trove. Turns out a buddy of his from church gave it to him.

After washing (soap/water only...no tumble), rinsing, and drying all the brass, I bagged up 1,100 pieces of .223 (mostly Winchester...some Federal), about 750 pieces of .40 S&W, and a handful each of .45 ACP and 9mm Luger. He'll probably offer to give me 1/2 the .223 (if not all of it), but I have so much as it is, I've run out of cabinet space. Guess I COULD put it in my new ammo cabinet......Cool

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Got a call yesterday from my buddy to come look at a garbage sack in the back of his truck...he didn't know what it was (he's skittish about ammo/guns for some reason, but he and his dad reload). Got over there and it was just a LOT of empty .223 boxes mixed in with some .40 S&W. After I tried to lift the bag, I heard the tell-tale sign of brass!! We sifted through all the empty boxes to the bottom of the garbage bag and discovered a small trove. Turns out a buddy of his from church gave it to him.

After washing (soap/water only...no tumble), rinsing, and drying all the brass, I bagged up 1,100 pieces of .223 (mostly Winchester...some Federal), about 750 pieces of .40 S&W, and a handful each of .45 ACP and 9mm Luger. He'll probably offer to give me 1/2 the .223 (if not all of it), but I have so much as it is, I've run out of cabinet space. Guess I COULD put it in my new ammo cabinet......Cool

Great haul
Now I have done the washing thingy with some spent mil brass,54 # in two large flat rate boxes.
Watch when you de prime,for me about one out of every hundred the primer was welded into the seat.It popped the center out leaving the ring stuck in the case head,I just tossed in recycle bucket

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Not much in the form of reloading, per se Smile

But sorted all the brass I gathered after a range trip with a coworker...silly people leaving a buttload of 38 spl, 357 mag, and 45 auto brass all over the floor.
Then mounted my new powder cabinet on the wall and stocked it. I'll pick up some cabinet knobs/handles later in the week.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Need moar powder.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I shot my .308 test load of 175 gr SMK over 44 gr of Varget in a LC case loaded to 2.806 OAL.

At 100 yards, 6 rounds, all touching in a vertical string that measured .060" center to center.
They were the last rounds of the day and I didn't take enough time between shots. I think the barrel was heating up.

I may tweak a little bit, but I'm pretty happy with my first ever handloads. Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal
Great haul
Now I have done the washing thingy with some spent mil brass,54 # in two large flat rate boxes.
Watch when you de prime,for me about one out of every hundred the primer was welded into the seat.It popped the center out leaving the ring stuck in the case head,I just tossed in recycle bucket

Thanks for the heads up on the primer pocket...I'll tell them to look out for that.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optical Delusion
Picture of BNW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by argolfer:
Over the weekend, I organized my reloading componants and then loaded up 1000 45ACP 230gr Zeros. Since I got my 45 Octane, I've been shooting a lot more 45's lately Smile

Nice! but that electrical web under that powder scares the shit out of me. Not trying to be rude.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Maine | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I showed this picture to my wife, saying, "You think I've got a lot of reloading components?" and she said, "Yeah, your room looks a lot like that." So, I'm taking that to mean a shopping spree is in order!!! Apparently, she won't notice the difference.

quote:
Originally posted by argolfer:

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Are you actually ordering 14k 147gr FMJ, or plated?

Where are you buying FMJ, and at what price?

Precision Delta.
I tried Extreme plated last 3 gun season and they just don't have the same accuracy I was getting with the old standby.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! After going to the range today, decided I would extend my time and go out to a couple of stores which occasionally have components. One store was closed (only open till 2 today), but the other, primarily a gun shop, actually had a fairly extensive selection of powders! More than I ever remember them having before. They actually had several pistol powders to choose from, red/blue/clay dot, power pistol, etc. But what came home was an 8# jug of AutoComp. Honestly, I've never tried it, but it looks like it ought to be pretty similar to WSF and HS-6 - they're close on the burn rate chart - for my 124gr 9mm loads. I am running razor thin on WSF - only enough for about 400 more loads in that, plus what's already loaded. This should keep me in business for a while.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been experimenting with the Hornady Bullet feeder dies. Specifically, making tubes to fit into the dies. Have 9mm and 45. Yesterday, I purchased a 1/2 in. dia., 10' length of CPVC pipe (cut into 3 each, 36 in. pieces), 3/4 to 1/2 reducers and some clevis pins. Using a 1/2 drill , I removed some material from inside the reducer couplings in order to allow the 1/2" pipe to slide thru the coupling. The pipe needs to extend INTO the die body to work well. I removed some additional material from the inside of the 3/4" end of the coupling to allow this portion to slide over knurled top of the feeder die. I cut 4 slots into the 3/4 in. portion to help this piece slide over the die top. Used adjustable garden hose clamps around the reducer coupling to keep things in place once the tubes are loaded and placed onto the die. Bored a few small holes at each end of the 3 ft. sections for witness holes as well as a hole to insert the clevis pin (one at each end of the tubes) to keep bullets in the tube until the tube is placed on the die. These tubes work for FMJ, plated and lead bullets. Once the proper case mouth flare is adjusted these dies work great. I clean the inside of the dies with a bore brush and alcohol after a few hundred bullets as the lead and wax lube will cause some problems. Total cost = around $8.00.
Tubes could be longer according to ceiling height.
Remember it is important to have a pin (or pipe cap ) at each end of the tube while loading tubes with bullets...Do not ask how I learned this Razz

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I pulled out cases to load for an informal team match that is still a month away and thought "NAH" and went back inside to watch T.V. Does that count for anything?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I pulled out cases to load for an informal team match that is still a month away and thought "NAH" and went back inside to watch T.V. Does that count for anything?

RMD

I did something very similar. I looked at a 5 gallon bucket full of 556 brass and thought about depriming but walked away. At least its all clean and sortedSmile

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Shot and chronographed 4 different .38spl and .38spl+P 158gr handloads. Also shot a few .357mag factory loads to get velocities. Did the same with a few new .40 and 9mm handloads as well. Picked up brass in the snow. Had fun.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Loaded up 500rds of 9mm using the last of my WSF supply (it stretched a bit further than I thought it would). Next up, switch over for some 223 loads.

Also, am now having to chase the lands out in my .243 Win Savage rifle. It had a long throat to begin with, but I've found the Bergers like to be just a couple hundredths off the lands. Have about 1800 rounds down the tube, accuracy is still good at the longer lengths, but I'm running short of bullet length. Time to start thinking about a new barrel...

posted Hide Post
http://s1379.photobucket.com/u....jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Above is a pic of our girl running the press for the first time her self. She has been helping sort brass since she was four. Now she is old enough to run the press.
She also likes to shoot.

Posts: 403 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsjac:
http://s1379.photobucket.com/u....jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Above is a pic of our girl running the press for the first time her self. She has been helping sort brass since she was four. Now she is old enough to run the press.
She also likes to shoot.

Thanks for skinning the coyotes.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Went to Menards and got a couple sheets of 2x4x3/4" plywood and built 2 shelves under my reloading bench. Still need to build one more shelf under the shorter side, but I took a break to pour myself some lunch. Smile

While clearing out under the bench to install the shelves, I found a fat 50 1/2 full of .223 reloads that I had forgotten I'd made. No idea how it got shoved up under there, but between that and the other 1/2 a fat 50 I've already got, that should keep SWMBO in bolt gun food for the summer. Most excellent, one less thing to worry about. Smile

PS - Now I finally understand you guys that post "I Found an 8# keg of whatever that I forgot I had..." Wait, come to think of it, I had that experience last summer. When I moved, I found an 8# jug of Varget under my bench that I'd forgotten about. LOL