Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun shells Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've never loaded 'em. Dad used to, but unfortunately I never paid attention while he did, so I know nothing.

I've got a Lee loader (press), a bunch of (Remington) hulls, umpteen pounds of Unique, Red Dot, and various other powders, a recent delivery of Cheddite primers, and a few bags of #4 and #6 lead shot.

What I don't have are wads. Not sure which ones to get/use. I can't imagine that there'd be much difference between any of them with an explosion going on underneath, but apparently there is.

Any recommendations for wads? And loads? I'm looking for duck and upland bird (pheasant/partridge) loads.

Posts: 18124 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
From what I’ve heard loading shotshells is that you have to stick to a known recipe. She’ll, powder,wad, shot…or you can have bad experience just like with metallic reloading.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 10173 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've reloaded shotgun since 1969, 12 gauge, 20 gauge and 410 bore. I still do it just about every week.

Yes, you need to stick to a recipe, not one your buddy gave you but a published recipe from either a reloading handbook or a powder manufacturer's reloading website. All factors are critical, hull, primer, wad, shot, powder.

What wad you use is determined by the load you want, how many ounces of shot specifically as there are a few options on how much.

So you determine what gauge or bore, what primers you have, what hulls you have to reload, how much shot you want and what size, then find a published load for it. Your #4 shot is typically for waterfowl or birds or small animals around that size. If it's lead, it's illegal for waterfowl, though.

Using the wrong wad with a given load can cause a dangerous overcharge and blow up your gun, so it's nothing to fool with.

Here's a link to one of the best shotshell reloading handbooks, Lyman's 5th Edition on Amazon. It tells you how to reload and everything you need to know about all aspects of shotshells. I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-S...l%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-2

Posts: 9916 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. Ordered one up.

Posts: 18124 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My pleasure.

Posts: 9916 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of differences between the hulls, wads, & primers when loading for shotgun. I completely agree to use only published recipes when it comes to reloading. The hulls come in tapered basewads & straight wall basewads. Your wad will be chosen based on which hull you choose. I believe that all Remington, & most Winchester hulls have a tapered basewad. The wads also have specific payload sizes.

Shotgunworld has a great reloading forum for shotgun that covers all aspects of reloading for shotgun.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post