SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Educate me on loading .38 spl wadcutters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educate me on loading .38 spl wadcutters Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I've had dies for .38/.357 for years and have never prepped a single piece of brass. I figure it's time to change that.

I figure I'd like to start with some wadcutter loads for my 627.

Do you have tips for loading wadcutters? Never loaded anything stubbier than a LSWC, so the profile is new to me. Will I get better mileage with 231 or Universal? I usually use WSP for primers. Still a good option?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
If they are the same on both ends, I loaded them flush with the case mouth. I prefer 231.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have loaded many a thousand for both .38 and .357 cases. Also the .32 S&W Long for my Benelli. Ive cast some but prefer the Hornady and Speer hollow base. These are swaged soft lead bullets so dont go for high end velocity. I've always loaded them flush to the case mouth. The Hornadys have a nice silvery graphite like lube on them which is pleasent to work with. Had a huge supply of factory Remington hollow base once which I swear they were lubed with coal. Very black and nasty. Zero used to make quality wad cutters at a good price. Two best and easiest to acquire are Hornady and Speer. Light roll or taper crimp for revolvers and taper crimp if you are feeding a auto like 52 Masters. 231 Is a good powder and smokes a little. The charges are very light. Maybe 2.5 grains up to 4+ with some powders. You'll need to shoot a few different charge weights to see what makes the best accuracy. These are very mild loads which you will enjoy shooting. On a sunny day you can see them going down range. Yes your WSPs are fine as you dont need magnum primers. Full length size and enjoy how soft the brass is. These bullets can be loaded to extreme accuracy tailored to you gun.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Carbide die set is best. I always roll out maybe 20 on a lube pad, some use spray lubes today, size 1 lubed and 5 or 10 dry, then another lubed case.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
tumble clean your brass and load them normally,small straight wall does not need lube unless its a 45/70 length.
loaded them as well as 357 and 44 mag for decades with no lube.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
size 1 lubed and 5 or 10 dry, then another lubed case

I do this also!!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m loading some I cast myself and don’t set the bullet flush with the case mouth , but one ring down...Lee tumble 148 wadcutter mold....

I only have Unique, but in my Thread many folks said to try 231 powder

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting .38 wadcutter in ISSF competition for over 40 yrs.
A standard target load is 148g HBWC or 148g cast WC (soft 2%tin/lead) loaded with 2.8g Bullseye.
I seat with 0.005-0.008" lead out of the case and use a med crimp into the lead.
If casting, size the projectiles to 0.001- 0.002" over slugged barrel size.
2.8g Bullseye gives about 750-780 fps (depending on the gun), good for both 25 and 50m target work.

Posts: 13 | Registered: February 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post