SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    115gr. 9mm load for an MPX using coated bullets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

115gr. 9mm load for an MPX using coated bullets? Login/Join 
posted
My MPX runs like a charm when I feed it bulk commercial ammo like Winchester White Box or Blazer Brass. It does not like my soft 147 competition handloads, and in all honesty, I have no need to feed it softer ammo. Because of the current ammo crisis, I'm trying to create a load that attempts to achieve the reliability of this economy ammo for use in my MPX and my wife's Glocks. I intend to also use it when I do some of my firearms instruction with new shooters.

I picked up some 115gr. 9mm Bayou Bullets and worked up a load with Titegroup that seems to provide adequate power/pressure for the MPX. The problem is that the first two rounds didn't feed smoothly and had to be mortared out of the chamber. Both came out with a dent in the nose from feeding. I was able run a few mags worth through the gun successfully after that, but I'm worried that the bullet shape/ogive is not optimum for the gun. When I compared the shape of these to WWB and Blazer Brass, I see that the ogive is sharper on the commercial ammo, so the bullet is longer. Per the reloading references, I am supposed to load mine to 1.1 OAL while the commercial stuff measures out at 1.4. I tried seating the Bayous at 1.4 but they failed the plunk test on a Glock 34 (which is another gun these are intended for). At 1.1 they pass the plunk test in the G34.

So, my question is whether anyone knows a coated 115gr. bullet that has a sharper ogive than Bayou's, or what is your recipe if you've loaded coated 115s successfully for your MPX.

Posts: 148 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: February 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve loaded common Berry’s & Rainier 115 grain plated bullets as common range & plinking bullets. I’m not near my data but I used just above 4 grains of Titegroup & just under the 1.1 COL.

I don’t know how the Rainier bullet profile compares to what you have.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would load 20 rounds with a starting OAL of 1.142 and test them. If the feed issue continues, experiment with an OAL of 1.150 and go from there.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post