SIGforum
Need Some Tips on Wet Tumbling Brass

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/4530097074

May 31, 2020, 04:58 PM
LS1 GTO
Need Some Tips on Wet Tumbling Brass
Been doing some wet tumbling using about a tablespoon of Lemi-Shine and good squirt of Dawn.

After a two hour tumble and really good rinse, the brass looks great - like new. After about 90 minutes in oven at 170 degrees, the brass looks almost burnished. The new shine is gone.

Any tips for keeping the new shine look or, is what I'm seeing normal?

TIA

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

May 31, 2020, 10:56 PM
AZSigs
Maybe rinse with distilled water?

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
June 01, 2020, 06:19 AM
El Cid 92
I use a carwash soap with wax in it. One of those Wash/Rinse types.

But truly, I just don't care if the brass discolors. It won't affect accuracy.

I know, I know..... It just doesn't look as good. And that what matters.

Happens to mine as well. No biggie.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.
June 01, 2020, 08:51 AM
LS1 GTO
Didn't consider the distilled water - thx for the idea.

The car soap was a thought though, I figured the Dawn would cut the grime better.

Next round, a combo of car soap and distilled water rinse. Smile

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

June 01, 2020, 05:55 PM
El Cid 92
Is it rifle or pistol brass??

If it is rifle, you'll need to put some carbon back in the neck as a lubricant to have a consistent bullet release. Stainless tumbling is "too good" at cleaning and removes everything.

I found that dipping my projectiles in neck sizing lubricant kept the SD and accuracy in the excellent range.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.
June 01, 2020, 08:59 PM
mark60
I use dawn and lem shine, then I rinse in cold water. After the cold water rinse I rise again in hot water then lay the brass out on a towel overnight. I have brass I tumbled a year ago that still looks brand new.
June 01, 2020, 09:40 PM
TRshootem
90 minutes seems a bit long even at 170*. I use the Lemishine/Dawn combo without the pins, then roll the washed and rinsed brass back and forth in a bath size towel. The towel picks up the slung water, the 30-45 ish minutes in the oven @ 170* drys them fine. I dump a lot of brass in a 1" deep roasting pan. Others suggest better rinse method, sounds about right.
June 01, 2020, 09:48 PM
LS1 GTO
El Cid - this about 20 lbs of 9mm. Next up is the .45acp

Will try a longer [hot] water rise and less drying time. thx all

June 02, 2020, 08:25 AM
tsmccull
Too hot. Try keeping the oven temp around 120. If you can’t, just spread the pile out on some towels and use a fan to blow air across it for a couple hours.
June 02, 2020, 09:21 AM
hairy2dawg
Sounds like too much lemshine to me. I only use a 9mm case full for 7 lbs of brass, 10 lbs media, & 2 gal of water. I also use the car wash with wax. When I started, I tried it with a teaspoon of lemshine and got the burnished look, so I kept backing it off until it came out looking right.
June 10, 2020, 08:50 PM
MikeinNC
I use half a teaspoon of lemon shine ,hot water and a squirt of dawn. Then I separate and rinse and either leave on the counter overnight or throw it in the oven at 175 for30 mins. Then I put them in a ziplock so they don’t oxidize ....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
June 11, 2020, 06:22 AM
bfm1851
quote:
El Cid 92

El Cid 92 don't mean to hijack thread but I just started cleaning with SS pins and water. Have read a lot about lubing inside of necks as pins gets things too clean. But can not find this magic dry lube in stock anywhere. Where are you getting it.
Thanks
June 11, 2020, 06:49 AM
benny6
Brownell’s has the lube, but not the application media.

https://www.brownells.com/relo...1-oz--prod32854.aspx

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com