SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Used brass by the bucket?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used brass by the bucket? Login/Join 
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted
I've never purchased brass this way. Is a five gallon bucket of mixed once fired brass from an indoor range worth $125.00? I don't want to overpay so I'm looking for advice from you brass hoarders. I'm not looking to re-sell unless my heirs do it when I'm gone.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
It depends on the contents. If it's a mix of rimfire brass cases, cigarette butts, aluminum and steel cases, probably not.

If it contains reloadable cases in calibers that you reload it could be a decent deal.

These guys sell a sorted 5 gallon bucket of 223 brass for $149. If that's what your after it makes 5 gallons of who knows what mixed up, for $125, not a very great deal at all.

https://www.coloradooncefiredb...t-p/223-556-5gal.htm

They also have others in bulk as well.
https://www.coloradooncefiredb...ass-Cases-s/1814.htm

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That doesn't sound like a good/decent deal to me. I would want to get some kind of an idea of the different calibers of brass in the bucket. What calibers do you reload???......all of the common calibers??

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
I reload 9mm, 357sig, 45acp, 38 Special and .223. In the past I traded any 40 I got for 45 with fellow IPSC shooters.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
If you're after pistol cases, we have a member in the Classifieds that sells pickup from a (LE?) range. I've bought from him twice and have no complaints.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...920052914#4920052914

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
If you're after pistol cases, we have a member in the Classifieds that sells pickup from a (LE?) range. I've bought from him twice and have no complaints.

Thanks for the lead but I'm paying a lot less than that per 1,000 already from a local source. Just had no way of knowing if the 5 gallon bucket deal was going to save me more.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We've been shooting off some older, surplus, military 7.62 ammo lately. The cases have been somewhat marginal since it spent three decades + in an unheated outbuilding.

As it was shot I just left it at the range. I would hate to see someone paying for this older brass with a few corrosion issues.

Just saying, depending one what it is, I like to have a good feel for the history of much of my reloading brass.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
You can get 9mm brass for $20/1000, 40S&W for about $30/1000, 45ACP for $55/1000 and 5.56 for $60/1000. Shipping is excluded in those prices. Pay more than that and you are being ripped off in price. You would have to look over that 5 gallon bucket of brass to see if there is any value in there. Everyone claims once fired but unless they shot it new then there can be no guarantee.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
As others mentioned, it depends on the contents of the bucket. If it is ALL brass, it's a bit more than scrap prices, but not by too much. Last bucket I took to the yard was a little over half full and I got $60 for it.

See if you can look at it first, then make your own determination.

If you are expected to buy it sight unseen, I'd pass.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
I pay $45 for a five gallon bucked of mixed brass from a range when I buy mixed brass...

That price is probably a bit on the low side because I am friends with the range owner... but I would think $75 is about the top I'd pay.

A bucket of range brass can be somewhat like a treasure hunt... never know what you are going to find... I've found all sorts of odd stuff in those buckets... Last time I bought one when I sorted the contents I found .375H&H brass; 500SAW; some berdan primed 9.3x63; a few shotgun shells, some .22 brass (went in the scrap bucket to go to the scrap dealer) a little steel case stuff (strong magnet is very useful here.) Happily the flood of aluminum cases from some years ago has receded...

Anyway, it can be a good value if you buy right.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post