SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Typo....they're 220gr.

Never heard of Leatherhead bullets but let us know what you think of them after you load and shoot.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Was going through my notes and found some data on the 78gr Lehigh Defense round. This is shot from a Noveske 8.2".

78gr Lehigh Defense
19.0 grs Accurate #9
2.225 OAL
10 rds sample
2856 FPS 35 spread and 11.3 STD DEV.

Wasn't testing for accuracy but, they grouped very well. I was pretty impressed with it. I did notice that Lehigh Defense doesnt list their 78gr ammo on their website anymore. Can still buy the bullets though.

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
tagged for reference.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Finally got through all 28 pages.

What I'm not hearing yet....is a good defense bullet for a subsonic load.

I started into 300 by slowing accumulating 20 boxes of sigsauer 220gr subsonic match. Then I opened them and started watching ballistics testing. I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing. As you all already know....they penetrate great, but no expansion...in fact they overpenetrate. Not what I'm looking for.

I see the value in staying above 200 grains, but some sort of expanding bullet is important. All my preliminary research is showing good defense and hunting rounds, but none designed to expand at low velocity. OR...they're too light.

What do we think about the Hornady 30 Cal .308 180 gr SST ? Maybe a bit on the light side.

I'm shooting these through a 10" 300 pistol length setup. Going through a YHM titanium 9" suppressor 4300, I believe (It's going on 10 months waiting for approval, so hopefully anyday).

I'm planning a chrono purchase, and I've been accumulating reloading supplies to get going. Got 1000 rounds of brass ready to load once I find bullets, and probably go get some A1680 (from reading this thread).

I have some powder on hand already...

2 lbs of Varget
2 lbs of CFE 223
2 lbs of H4895
4 lbs of HS-6
2 lbs of Reloader 22
1 lb of bullseye

I haven't been able to find any 1680 yet, but I've got a trip to Anchorage in a few weeks to look.

Subscribed to the thread now....hopefully I'll be adding some data soon to the group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same dilemna, as I am running a 10-1/2" 300 Blk Hardened Arms upper on a pistol lower, at least until my SBR stamp comes thru. Am also waiting for my stamp for a Griffin suppressor, which I had also hoped to run on this setup.

The issue with conventional bullets, even hollow point, is that they really don't expand well, if at all, at sub-velocities. That fact really defeats the purpose for home defense and hunting.

At SHOT last week I spoke with a rep at the G2 Reseach booth about this very topic. They have marketed several pistol bullets/loads the past few years which report to have great expansion characterisics. You can Google them and read about it from several sources and tests.

Specific to the sub 300 Blk, G2 currectly has loaded cartridges with their special bullet profiles which claim superior expansion at sub-sonic velocities, and I was told that they are also selling/planning to sell shortly, the bullets for home reloaders.

I haven't set down that path yet, am just getting my dies set up now for my first run of Blk. I have 8# of AA1680 and just received 500 Speer 125 gr TNT, with plans to first run super-sonic to get more cycles on the gun.

My reasearch shows that more of the max-expanding bullets are in the works from other manufactures as well, or already released for this same reason.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Scored 4 lbs of 1680 at cabelas in Anchorage this past week. I vacuum sealed 3 of them.

Hoping this will be enough powder for a couple years of loading.

Still looking for what I think will be the right bullet. Something flat nosed or guaranteed to expand at low velocity, in the 200-220 grain size.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Scored 4 lbs of 1680 at cabelas in Anchorage this past week. I vacuum sealed 3 of them.

Still looking for what I think will be the right bullet. Something flat nosed or guaranteed to expand at low velocity, in the 200-220 grain size.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in here. Probably has somewhere (I'm not going to go look), and maybe you missed it?

The bullet you seek is this one: http://www.lehighdefense.com/c...94gr-subsonic-bullet

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in here. Probably has somewhere (I'm not going to go look), and maybe you missed it?

The bullet you seek is this one: http://www.lehighdefense.com/c...94gr-subsonic-bullet

I definitely missed that post. Thanks!

Pricey....

**edited to add:

Just ordered 2 boxes of 50, so we'll give them a go in a few weeks!

www.rikrlandvs.com

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Good deal! Look forward to your review.

I ordered a box a while back and loaded them for hunting rounds.

Unfortunately, I still haven't shot anything with them. Frown

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Interesting. I might order some to load. Have a recipe you are willing to share?

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
quote:

Interesting. I might order some to load. Have a recipe you are willing to share?

Load is for an 8" SBR AR, so it might be supersonic in a longer barrel. Also, it was developed to feed and operate properly - with an adjustable gas block AND a suppressor.

YMMV.

Lake city brass
CCI Small Rifle primer
11.7gn Accurate 1680
OAL 2.180

Enjoy!

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
quote:

Load is for an 8" SBR AR, so it might be supersonic in a longer barrel. Also, it was developed to feed and operate properly - with an adjustable gas block AND a suppressor.

YMMV.

Lake city brass
CCI Small Rifle primer
11.7gn Accurate 1680
OAL 2.180

Enjoy!

Thanks. At least gives me a starting reference for my 10" SBR.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I have NOT tried these, but just stumbled across them.

https://www.blackoutbullets.co...t?variant=1039467061

They are quite a bit cheaper than the Lehigh Defense bullets, and also weigh more (220gn).

However, from the photos on the site, it doesn't look like they expand nearly as well.

However, for hunting/SD, they might still be adequate? I'm not a big hunter, so I'm not sure?

If anyone picks some up, let me know what you think. $40/100, $375/k.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have NOT tried these, but just stumbled across them.

https://www.blackoutbullets.co...t?variant=1039467061

They are quite a bit cheaper than the Lehigh Defense bullets, and also weigh more (220gn).

However, from the photos on the site, it doesn't look like they expand nearly as well.

However, for hunting/SD, they might still be adequate? I'm not a big hunter, so I'm not sure?

If anyone picks some up, let me know what you think. $40/100, $375/k.

Ordered 200

I'm still not setup for reloading, so it's going to be a little bit before I get a chance to make some loads...but I'm a bit more motivated now that my suppressor is finally in my hands.

I can tolerate 40cents a bullet. Much more affordable than the daniel defense. Also, blackout bullets shipping rates were VERY reasonable. $6.80 for 2 boxes of 100 to Alaska. It's not very often we don't see price gouging in shipping prices. A very nice thing to see. I'll advise here when I get them, and when I load and test them.

www.rikrlandvs.com

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I recently ordered some of the leatherhead 220gr and can't wait to try them out.

I also just got an order of the Berry's plated 220gr 300blk-specific bullets.
Has anyone tried these yet? I'm going to load them as I normally do with 220grSMK, using 1680. But Berry's suggests a COL of 2.10"

Running through a 10" upper, pistol length gas, through a Silencerco Omega 300.

A question:
What is the recommended shooting distance to check for keyholing? I would like to check these new bullets first before I run them through a suppressor. I've seen 5 yards, I've seen 25 yards.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I recently ordered some of the leatherhead 220gr and can't wait to try them out.

I also just got an order of the Berry's plated 220gr 300blk-specific bullets.
Has anyone tried these yet? I'm going to load them as I normally do with 220grSMK, using 1680. But Berry's suggests a COL of 2.10"

Running through a 10" upper, pistol length gas, through a Silencerco Omega 300.

A question:
What is the recommended shooting distance to check for keyholing? I would like to check these new bullets first before I run them through a suppressor. I've seen 5 yards, I've seen 25 yards.

Well, since you're worried about keyholing damaging the can presumably, it stands to reason that you're worried what the bullet is doing as it exits the barrel, not what it's doing 25 yards downrange.

As a result, the answer is "as close as you comfortably feel safe".

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, since you're worried about keyholing damaging the can presumably, it stands to reason that you're worried what the bullet is doing as it exits the barrel, not what it's doing 25 yards downrange.

As a result, the answer is "as close as you comfortably feel safe".

That's what I figured. I shot a couple rounds at cardboard at 3 yards. No tumbling. Shot at 25 yards then at 100 yards. Nice clean holes.
I always wondered about tumbling bullets, and figured they needed some time and space before they started to yaw.

Thanks, exx.

Oh, and the Berry's bullets 220gr spire point plated ran great. Better than I thought actually. Best groups were with 11.0gr of 1680, COL 2.113"; got 1-hole groups @25yds and MOA at 100y. They were a little louder than my loads at 10.4 and 10.7gr, but didn't break the sound barrier out of a 10" AR.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
300 Blackout gurus, lend me your ear for a few..

So I just ordered a 10.5 barrel for an AR pistol (I have a 7.62 can)

I ordered dies

I can make my own cases from cut down 5.56 brass, of which I have a 5gal bucket...

but I only have the following powders on hand to use for loads...I intend to stick with SUBSONIC ammo only (for now)

1. 2230-S (for 223/5.56)
2. Hodgdon Hybrid 100V
3. Trailboss
4. IMR 4227 (I use it for 17 Hornet)
5. Unique
6. BLC-2
7. Accurate No7

can anyone point me towards some loads for the powders I have listed?

Thanks!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss and 4227 are pretty much it, although Unique works as well. Go to Hodgdon, Nosler and Hornady data for appropriate powders for supers and subs.. H110(296), MP 300, CFE BLK, 1680, 4227 etc on the burn rate chart. If all you had was H110 and 1680 you would be covered until the load tinker bug takes over Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
TRshootem: If all you had was H110 and 1680 you would be covered until the load tinker bug takes over

I usually create re-loads to mimic standard factory loads.

In my target rifle (223 and 243)I load custom to that rifle's barrel likings...

I can't wait until my brown truck of love comes by this week

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post