SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Got some more 5744 yesterday. Everything else has been elusive and I don't want to use my only bottle of H110 since 357 and 22tcm use it.

I liked the load that the 5744 produced anyway, now I need to find more bullets as Midsouth is out of the pro-hunters I was using. Frown

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
PVI has 500-ct boxes of Sierra MatchKing 125's in stock for $148.

Great bullet for this round for super sonic loadings.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I like a dual-purpose bullet.

You know, one that does dishes or something besides just putting holes in paper. Big Grin

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
If you find a bullet that does dishes, you be sure to let the rest of us (especially me!) know!

Smile

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a Dillon, here are a few good reasons to get one. Like a trimmer for 300 BLK that doesn't require you pre-cut the cases. That's right, just run a full 223 case up into it and out comes 300 BLK.

The video makes it appear to be 650 only. Guess I need to buy another press.

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
I fianlly worked out a load for those 240gr SMK bullets I bought. 9.8gr of AA1680 pushes them to an average of 1030fps out of my 14.5" barrel. Accuracy was good, but not as good as the 220gr SMKs.

I loaded them to 2.130" since they are so long. They get pushed inward a little from the ridge in my mags but not enough to cause problems. I tried them in P mags and Lancer AWM with no isues.

Cycled my action good and loacked the bolt back every shot. I Fired them with the suppressor on.

I finally loaded them on my Dillon 650 rather than my single stage. I had almost forgotten how much faster the progressive is with all the precision loads and test loads I had been doing on my single stage. I only bought 150 of the 240gr bullets and used 50 of them in testing. I loaded the other 100 last night in about 30 min, and most of that was getting set up and getting the powder charge just right.

I used the powder funnel C (30 carbine) to flare the neck slightly. This worked very well. Probably not necessary with these boar tail rounds, but I plan on doing some 115gr flat base Bergers next. I also used the Lee Factory Crimp Die in the last station to take the flare out. the Case feed adapter I used was the Blue one for 22 Hornet, and it worked perfectly. I used the small pistol shell feeder plate, but didn't have the spacer washers to raise it so I juts hand fed about 15 shells at a time in the tube. I will be getting those washers soon so I can use the case feeder. Everything else (except the dies) was the same as .223 on the Dillon.

I sized and decapped them all in my single stage. None were long enough to need trimmed so I just put them in the corn cob media tumbler to final polish and remove the lube. I used a Lee universal decapping pie in the first station of the 650 to make sure the flash hole is clear like I do with all my rifle cartridge loading heads.

Like I said, I probably won't be using any more of these 240's since the 220gr are cheaper and seem slightly better suited in the 300BLK. Can't wait to get started on the 115gr super sonic loads. I have Lil'Gun powder as is seems to give the highest velocities with the lowest chamber pressures. Not sure how they managed that, but I'll take it. Looks like I might be able to get them up close to 2400 fps.

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Excellent write-up Chris, thanks for sharing your info.

I also use the Lee CFD in the final station to take the bell back off the case mouth. Works great.

Suppressor order is being placed tomorrow, so hopefully by June/July I should have some range reports on subsonic loads. Time to start shopping for bullets; I've already managed 2# of AA1680.

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
I noticed with the AA1680 loading subs that it goes through powder more like a pistol cartridge so 1 pound goes a lot longer in 300BLK than I am used to in loading rifle cartridges. I just finally opened my second 1# bottle and I have over 400 rounds loaded now. Another reason to like this cartridge.

By the way, if you haven't seen it already, go to the suppressed guns section and check out my latest video with the 300BLK.

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know how you fellas are performing the final trimming after chop sawing your 223 cases. I made a few on a Wilson lathe trimmer - precision cuts but way too much time spent.
If you're using a RT1200, what trim die have you settled on?

Posts: 344 | Location: FL | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I'm using a WFT.

Picture of Flea7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCJim:
I'd like to know how you fellas are performing the final trimming after chop sawing your 223 cases. I made a few on a Wilson lathe trimmer - precision cuts but way too much time spent.
If you're using a RT1200, what trim die have you settled on?

I use the forster 3 in 1 case mouth cutter. My setup is just like the one in the video.

Forster 3 in 1 case trimmer video

Posts: 400 | Location: The Evergreen State | Registered: March 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I'm using a WFT.

+1 on the Little Crow WFT

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Finally scored some 1680. I didn't overpay too bad, but certainly bad enough...

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Greetings guys, I'm new to the .300 B/O thing and have gone thru this thread to catch up. A buddy brought by one of his loads for me to try:
150 gr. Nosler BT or Accubond (Tan tip)
18 gr. 1680 Oal length 5@ 2.090, 5@ 2.10
Rem 7.5

I pulled a couple, no trust. Holy crap, this stuff is COMPRESSED. I had to dig it out of the case with a small screw driver. Western powders data says for a START load, 150 SMK, is
19.4 and the max is 21.6. Whoa, this would make 1680 pellets in the case. I will try this batch and see what gives.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the trimmer comments. I've sent an email to Eric @ Possum Hollow and am awaiting his response. I'm hoping that one of my current trimmers could be adapted.

Posts: 344 | Location: FL | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Greetings guys, I'm new to the .300 B/O thing and have gone thru this thread to catch up. A buddy brought by one of his loads for me to try:
150 gr. Nosler BT or Accubond (Tan tip)
18 gr. 1680 Oal length 5@ 2.090, 5@ 2.10
Rem 7.5

I pulled a couple, no trust. Holy crap, this stuff is COMPRESSED. I had to dig it out of the case with a small screw driver. Western powders data says for a START load, 150 SMK, is
19.4 and the max is 21.6. Whoa, this would make 1680 pellets in the case. I will try this batch and see what gives.

While I don't pretend to speak for EVERYONE, I think you'll find that for most guys, 1680 is dedicated to subsonic loadings since it will cycle the action.

Supersonic loads, guys usually use Lil Gun, W296, etc.

1680 is SO hard to come by that it almost seems blasphemous to use it to load supersonic loadings.

Now, OTOH, if that's all you've got, or you've got a LOT, and/or you don't have a can, by all means, carry on.

But, if you plan to get a can, you might conserve some of "the good stuff" for subs, you'll want it later...

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
Yup, AA1680 is the go to powder for sub sonic loads. Has been super reliable is my 220 and 240 grain loads so far.

For super sonic I haven't made any yet but am about to soon. I chose Lil' Gun for the powder because from the manuals it shows the highest velocities for the same weight bullet as the others and the lowest chamber pressures. Not sure how they got higher volcity with lower pressure, but I'll take it.

-Chris

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

1680 is SO hard to come by that it almost seems blasphemous to use it to load supersonic loadings..

Last week when I stopped in at Mid South Shooters Supply to pick up my order, I talked with Jim at the counter for a bit. When I mentioned I was loading 300BLK he asked what powder I was using. I told him AA1680 for sub sonic loads. He said they used to have to dust off a can when someone would order 1680, but since 300 Blackout came along, they can't keep it in stock.

-Chris

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Im loading some supersonic today for the weekend range trip. Im going to load some Nosler 150gr ballistic tip and some Hornady Amax 110gr's.

Once I get my 1680 next week Ill start loading up some subsonic rounds. I have 1K 220gr SMK OTM and want to start getting them put together.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Once again, an old handloader learns from those who paved the way Smile I decided to pull the loads and save the 1680 per your info here. I have just one pound, but have nearly 8 pounds of LilGun. I never crimped rifle brass, including LR and bench rest loads, but certainly see the value of doing it on this little case. I always shot my Whisper loads in a Contender, crimping just didn't seem to matter then. The weather is cold, with below zero lows coming, shooting will have to wait. Looking forward to my Elite Iron Bravo can paper work...maybe April.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post