SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Is it even worth it to reload 9mm anymore?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it even worth it to reload 9mm anymore? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
At current prices I’m not even motivated to use my press anymore for 9mm. I think it’s around $20 more for name brand 500 rds brand new.

Anyone else reloading far less now?

Posts: 17895 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting factory all season. I have the components to reload 9 and will probably do a thousand this Winter for something to do.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of 9mm components and I do load them. I still have a couple of cases of Blazer Brass when I got it on sale for $8.49 a box.

9mm is somewhat cheap. 45 Colt, 357 Mag, 45 acp are way cheaper to load not to mention all of my rifles.

I got lucky and put away a lot of components after Obama caused his big drought. Bought a ton of primers when they were $35 per thousand.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I typically only load and shoot subsonic 9mm. I feel like it’s worth it still.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oz - Based on today’s prices for the required components I would hesitate to spend a lot of time in front of my reloaded - but having reloaded for over 40 years now, I have built up a significant inventory of the needed components over the years.

Somewhat seeing the first and second primer “shortage” coming (especially the second one) and somewhat the powder and projectile shortage that occurred several years back, I stocked up. I am still loading and shooting primers that cost me between $0.02 to $0.03 each ($20.00 to $30.00 a thousand) and powder that cost $20.00 a lb or less (have several 8lb jugs of W231 that cost me $149.00). I also still have real fmj 9mm projectiles that cost around $0.05 each so for me I still reload today.

I also reload so I can load my “powder puff” rounds for local steel challenge and IDPA matches that I know work in my various guns.

Truth told, at 64 I load for the enjoyment of the quiet time and sense of accomplishment. Nothing looks better than an ammo can full of freshly loaded 9mm ammo, except for an ammo can full of sub-sonic 300 Blackout that were made from LC 223 brass that I converted on one of my Dillon presses. Now there is a huge savings when reloading 300 Blackout vs. today’s factory loaded ammo IMO.

I did pick up several cases of factory ammo (various calibers) when prices were low. I look at that as our “go to” ammo if we ever had to use our guns for hunting or self defense.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think I have maybe 5k small pistol primers left from the pre-panic pricing. It just feels like I should save them in case I get into some pricier calibers. My preferred target round in 9mm is 147gr somewhat light but not all that much different from something like Blazer.

Posts: 17895 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One can ask a similar question if it pays to have a vegetable garden. In many ways it can get into the hobby & enjoyable areas.

Even with the home chickens & fresh eggs, all kinds of places around here sell for $3 a dozen. One of my favorite small vegetable stands has good sized tomatoes for $1 each. The prices are good with other offerings also.

I loaded some 243 for a youth deer hunter last year. I kept the loads modest, one shot he had his deer.

I just ordered a 375 Ruger rifle, no real need, but kinda wanted one. I’ll start out with modest loads.

As to the 9mm question, maybe not. I don’t mind shooting factory if prices are right.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I purchased lots of components when they were cheap, so for my the 9 mm are totally worth reloading I have enough to last many years

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Same here as XLT stated, even during the plandemic I was able to get out & consistently practice though the local gun club that I belong to was pretty quiet during that time-frame... wonder what they have planned next?!?!

Snowy & cold here in Colorado this weekend so I cranked out 900+ rounds of .45 ACP and 500 rounds of RN 9mm Cool

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 223 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
I roll RMR and Berry's 147s for running stages on steel using N320 and N330 so yes .... the answer for me is yes.

I also run SIG 147 V-Crowns for PD loads juiced with VV so yes ... it is definitely worth reloading 9mm.

115s paper punching, no.

Hot 124s for the carbine, yes.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSauer_P225
posted Hide Post
For me absolutely! I stocked up on powder (Titegroup) and CCI SPP way back years ago and I can load 9mm 124 gr PRN for slightly less than $7 per 50.

Even the cheap range rds are $15 a bx here.

Posts: 737 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
At current prices, not as much as it was a few years ago for, say, 9mm. For everything else, I believe it’s still cheaper, and more enjoyable to tailor your own loads.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15595 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still cheaper to reload 9mm than buy factory.

Posts: 11 | Registered: August 22, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Your math will be very simple to figure it out. I used to load shot shells for sporting clays, but after component prices went up, it was cheaper to buy them outright. Also consider resulting quality between factory and handloading if that matters to you.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post