SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Has Winchester WST Always Been Smokey?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Winchester WST Always Been Smokey? Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
Finally went to the range today after taking a 3 year break from shooting. Kinda like riding a bike, it didn't take long to get back in the groove...

One thing I thought was odd was my .45s were very smokey. I don't recall WST being so smokey in the past. These were rounds I loaded 3 years ago before I stopped shooting. Am I just remembering it wrong?

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its always been smokey for me. You really notice on an indoor range. Even with fpmj or cp bullets. Versatile powder though

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Had a recent thread on how smokey it was. Try CFE Pistol. It's less smokey (IMO) and cleaner!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Stupid question but were you shooting lubed lead bullets?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
Had a recent thread on how smokey it was. Try CFE Pistol. It's less smokey (IMO) and cleaner!

A recent thread here on Sigforum? I'm searching for it now.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WST smokes, but it can smoke more if you're shooting bare lead. It has a different scent, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Stupid question but were you shooting lubed lead bullets?

Nope. Shooting Precision Delta 230 grain jacketed bullets.

This new range has different lighting than the old range I used to go to. Dunno. Just don’t remember it being so Smokey.

Don’t really want to change powders as I have about 10 lbs......

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WST has always seemed smoky to me, whether with coated bullets, plated, jacketed, whatever.

Unless it's blowing back in your face or getting in your eyes, it probably doesn't matter much.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of euclid
posted Hide Post
That hasn’t been my experience. I switched to WST because it DID NOT smoke as much as other powders I was using at the time. In fact, my steel challenge buds swore by WST for that very reason.

The best is the enemy of good enough.

Posts: 59 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I love me some WST, must have 15 lbs...likely never use it all. I have noted WST is reverse temp sensitive, missed the PF on hot days but was fine on cold mornings. Adjusting the charge a bit also made for a bit less smoke and cleaner burn. It really does not smoke like some others for pistol loads.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post