SIGforum
Anyone use a benchtop magnifier?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/3150084444

July 16, 2018, 01:10 PM
1967Goat
Anyone use a benchtop magnifier?
Eyes are getting old so I was thinking of getting a bench top, clamp style, illuminated magnifier (LED). I see they have a range of 2.25X to 10X. Anyone use one? 2.25X, 5X, 10X?

I mainly want to use it for inspecting cases to check for cracks, signs over over pressure, etc...

Recommendations?
July 16, 2018, 02:38 PM
GT-40DOC
I have been using an Optivisor at my bench for many years.....plus a good light(LED) source. They come in different strengths.
July 16, 2018, 02:43 PM
Steve in PA
Yup, I use one, although the one I have uses a regular bulb instead of an LED. I don't know the magnification power, but I'll post if I find out what it is.

I use it for the same reasons you do......aging eyes!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
July 16, 2018, 08:09 PM
henryaz

I wear an old pair of single vision reading glasses for reloading and other close up work. 

July 17, 2018, 05:44 PM
jackimoe
I picked up a generic unit from harbor freight. It's got some goofy light duty clamps.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ing-hands-60501.html
July 18, 2018, 08:44 AM
Blue68f100
I've got some no name cheap bench top magnifier that has 2 different power. I use it mostly for reading the small print on bits/taps.... I have a good Opti-visor I use when doing fine detail work requiring good eyes. I have 3 different magnification of lens for it. I also have a special pair of glasses that is only my bi/tri focal length which gives me a boarder view of what I'm working on.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger
July 18, 2018, 02:15 PM
87jeep
Yes.

AzCDL
War is less costly than servitude
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
July 18, 2018, 05:55 PM
rg1
I've used an Optivisior for years. Regular reading glasses and the Optivisor above my glasses. If I need to look more closely I tilt my head and look through the #5 Optivisor lens. My Optivisor also has a loupe on it for really closeup. I don't wear glasses except to read and wear them to reload. Note that the Optivisor lens have different focusing distances. #5 works for me. I do too much inspection to have to move myself to look through a bench mounted magnifier.
July 19, 2018, 07:16 AM
gundog55
I use a fluorescent magnifying desk lamp available from harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ying-lamp-60643.html
July 25, 2018, 05:33 PM
AZSigs
I already have a light on my bench so I got a tabletop magnifier ($13) at the local Michael's craft store.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor