SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    HI TEK bullets and ported barrels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HI TEK bullets and ported barrels Login/Join 
posted
I have read that when using cast lubed bullets in ported barrels when the bullet pass past the port, there is gas cutting of the bullet and leading at the ports. A GS or FMJ bullet this does not happen.

Is this true?

I have a model 29 10" ported barrel that I want to run 240 grain HI-TEK bullets at < 1400 fps.

Will HI-TEK bullets lead at less than 1400 fsp? Lead at the ports?

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two snubby revolvers that are ported. They are in 45LC and I shoot lead bullets through them both. I will get leading of the sides of the FRONT sight on both guns, but no leading inside of the ports. When I shoot plated bullets, I get none. I have no experience with Hi-Tek bullets in anything.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't run ported or compensated a lot, but I do like coated lead. At reasonable velocities, I get no barrel deposits. They're clean. I don't think a properly ported pistol will amount to much so far as affecting the bullet.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have read that when using cast lubed bullets in ported barrels when the bullet pass past the port, there is gas cutting of the bullet and leading at the ports.

I suppose if there is a burr in the barrel that scrapes the coating off that could happen but hi-tek itself is quite heat resistant. You can melt a hi-tek coated bullet and the coating will hold the molten lead inside. Unless you poke a hole in it, then that's where the lead can come out.

Like this coated bullet sat beside an uncoated one on aluminum and heated until molten.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post