SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Dillon rifle die setup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon rifle die setup Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Most die manufacturers seem to setup sizing dies by screwing die in until it touches the shellholder, then adding an additional partial turn. RCBS an additional 1/8 to 1/4 turn, Lee an additional 1/4 to 1/3 turn. These manufacturers seem confident that setting will provide a minimum headspace setting.

I have Dillon 223 carbide dies, and the instructions in the box say to scrw sizing die in until it touches and back off 1/2 turn. I watched a die setup video by Dillon on youtube, and it said to screw die in until it touches shell plate. I called Dillon today to discuss the discrepancy of the instructions, and they said screw in until it touches, then back off 2 turns. With all three differing instructions, these are just initial settings, to be verified with a headspace gauge, and the final setting is based on the gauge.

Despite the variety of initial settings in Dillon instructions, it appears they don't seem to manufacture their dies with confidence in the headspace being minimum relative to contact with the shellholder like other manufacturers. Is that really what is going on or they just want more careful verification with another $40 tool? If that is the case (pun noted) Dillon dies require an additional outlay for every caliber that other makers don't require.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe not the response you want.... But maybe buy a head space gauge and caliper. Then set it the right way instead of WAG by screwing down/backing off a random amount of turn. Hornady makes a simple set. And you need a good caliper anyway for proper reloading.

No reason not to do it right the first time.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you loading on a Dillon Press?
If so make sure you have brass at all the stations when your are setting up the dies.
If not the shell plate will flex.
Remember just cause the dies are carbide, you still need to use case lube.

Did you read this? carefully?
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://dilloncdn.com/magento/manuals/die-set-manual.pdf

Posts: 12 | Registered: July 21, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
On a RCBS Rockchucker. Yes I've read those instructions. That is where the back off two turns advice is given, but all three say to set with a headspace gauge. I have loading down for bolt guns, mostly use fireformed brass and neck size only if accuracy is important. I'm loading .556 for an AR and factory ammo headspace is fine for that. I've got a headspace gauge coming and I guess I'll be bumping the shoulder back a few thou from fired brass.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just some general comments, with 223 loads, likely a semi-auto action. One has a wider allowance say when loading for a single bolt-action rifle. The worst case is you can ‘feel’ any problems as you close the bolt.

It really ruins your shooting day to get a round stuck in a semi-auto action, sadly, BTDT.

Often with me, rounds can end up in any number of rifles. I do have one semi-auto 223 I have to be careful with, usually keep rounds segregated with nickel plated brass for that gun.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post