SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Anyone ever try pulled bullets for general plinking/blasting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever try pulled bullets for general plinking/blasting? Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
Google results seem to be surprisingly few and vary from ‘didn’t see a difference’ to ‘wildly inaccurate’. At the prices I’ve seen in a couple places it’s mighty tempting to try it out knowing there’s a risk in losing some accuracy though I’m not that great of a shot anyways.

This would be for de-mil’d 5.56.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I bought lot of pulled milspec 308 bullets. Had to clean sealant off them with gasoline, but they shot fine. Not terribly accurate but for range fodder. Fine.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Machine pulled can have nasty gouges on some,range fodder will be ok.
I once got 330# from a recycle place.That had been bought from a scrapper.
Employees panicked after the pallet got ruptured and they had tracers mixed in.
I actually sold some one this forum.
Hundred yards and accuracy is ok.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I have shot up several K of .223 pulls and at least 3-400 .308 147's. Unless damaged beyond all usable condition, they generally shoot just fine. Last year I shot up about 1650 rounds of pulled components, including the powder and primers. This was from processing damaged ammo sourced from a ammo MFG.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Pulled 55 grain FMJ is decent, but I'm guessing most people that report inaccuracy are loading SS109 steel core .224 bullets.

Are pulled bullets that much cheaper than Bob's Bulk Bullets?

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried some pulled 55 gr.223/5.56 bullets.
Ok at 100 yards but didn't try longer distance.
Just plinking loads.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
Are pulled bullets that much cheaper than Bob's Bulk Bullets?

Somehow I wasn’t tracking that source. I get most of my stuff from xtreme. Thanks!

To answer your question yes it is a bit cheaper than that but maybe I’ll try those first.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not bought pulled bullets, but I have pulled and reused bullets myself.
Jacketed pistol bullets do fine.
Rifle bullets get used for fouling shots, 100 yard zero and practice. I use new for longer ranges.

Posts: 3283 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have about 5,000 pulled 50bmg 660 (or so) grain bullets. Don't really care how accurate, but I sure do enjoy the boom.

They are actually ok out to 500 or so. Beyond that I shoot A-max.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot thousands of Jeff Bartlett's (GIBrass.com) .30 cal. pulled M2 bullets with good results. My 1903A3 Smith-Corona will do an honest 2-3 MOA with its issue iron sights if I'm having a good "eyes" day. Can't comment on 5.56mm as I don't use pulled bullets with it. YMMv Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've loaded and shot many pulled bullets in .223, 30 cal. and 50 caliber bullets with good results. I do lots of checking on pulled bullets. I weigh each bullet plus run all pulled bullets through a bullet resizing die. I use Lee's bullet resizing dies in .223 and 30 caliber. Even though they are for sizing lead bullets they work great for jacketed bullets. Main issue with pulled bullets are they are from many different lots and maybe from different manufacturers. Bullets pulled with mechanical fingers can leave marks which a sizing die will iron down. 50 bullets go through a 50 sizing die. Pulled bullets used to be a better bargain and you need to decide whether saving a few cents per bullet is worth your time.

Posts: 112 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post