SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Case prep on unfired Lake City 7.62 brass?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case prep on unfired Lake City 7.62 brass? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I got a deal on a pile of demilled Lake City 7.62 brass. It's unfired with primers intact. They pulled bullets and dumped the powder and sold the primed cases.
My question is: How much brass prep would you do on these? Round out the case mouths, fill and seat? Trim, chamfer, deburr, fill and seat?

I will be shooting this out of my 700 Remington bolt gun.

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I bought 2k Austrian pull down 7.62 cases w/ primer. I just loaded them with powder & a bullet & shot them. Worked very well & accuracy was just fine.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would just ensure the mouth is round, then check length, no reason to get to the case body. One shouldn’t need much lube, don’t want to chance primer contamination.

Length ‘should’ be good. If not trimming, champher/debur could be optional.

I’m talking casual shooting or hunting rounds, one can take it to higher levels if desired. Once you have a handful do some testing before loading 500 rounds.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
As the others said, just load em up and shoot em if all else is okay.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might want to neck size? Lee collect die for bullet tension.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I think I will check length, neck size with the bushing die, fill and seat.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
You can just put a caliper to those necks to check a few, no need to check all of them in a die. You might need to bell the mouths just a bit to prevent skinning the jacket when you seat your new bullets. Then taper crimp a bit ... all depends.

I used to get a lot of brass from powder valley before they started reconditioning all of their brass and usually all I had to do on primered brass was open the mouth up a bit, enough to seat new boolits, then recrimp lightly.

Then I started buying from Top Brass and, back in the day it came completely reconditioned and primered and ready to go. It spoiled me a bit.

You are a lucky man to get that brass .... you might get 6-10 reloads out of that brass if you don't overwork it and learn to anneal. Congratulations on your good fortune.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am excited to get this. I scored it at Midway. Unsure if they have any more.
I was cautioned that much of the fired LC brass is from belt fed machine guns with huge chambers and long headspace and basically trashed from one firing. Getting Lake City unfired was a definitely a win.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
maybe drop some at random thru a case gauge to check,

otherwise as mentioned, load and shoot

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm finally getting around to sorting through this pile of brass. I'm visually inspecting for pull down damage and dropping them into a chamber die.
What I am finding:
Several in the first hundred are between .001 and .003 long in headspace. They sit proud on the base of the chamber check tool and then I stick them into a precision micrometer to get a precise number. I am guessing some sticky bullets stretched some necks during the pull down process.
Some have mouths that are out of round. All could use a chamfering and deburring.
Checking some with my .306 mandrel finds lots of fairly tight case mouths. I am waiting for the mandrel die to come available so I am just using the mandrel by hand.

I am thinking of full length sizing the lot of them, then chamfer and debur.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
In case anyone is interested, Midway has this stuff back in stock at 40% off what I paid: $299 for 500 primed LC brass is a helluva deal.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I FL sized about 100, today. The necks have flakes of sealant coming out of them, after sizing. I brushed out the necks, chamfered and deburred. Some had freckles of what looks like sealant on the shoulder and body. That cleaned up with NevrDull.
I realize that I am putting more work than absolutely necessary into this brass but if I want consistency, it has to be all the same. Plus, it's a good way to really inspect the brass.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The sealant on the necks is nasty. I ended up having to yank the sizing die and clean it out after 100 rounds because there was buildup on the expander ball. I'm scrubbing the inside of all the necks with a bore brush before sizing them, now.
I have to say, I look forward to getting the first firing out of the way so I can decrimp and wet tumble them. After that, they should be much easier to handle.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I will try that carefully to avoid contaminating primers. The scrubbing with a bore brush is tiresome.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
And scrubbing with acetone and q-tips is amazingly tedious. I did 25 cases in about 30 minutes. The sealant is that tenacious. I may try dipping the case mouths in acetone and then wiping them out. The acetone evaporated quickly off the q-tips making me stop and reapply. 1 q-tip per case means quite a pile, at the end.
If it wasn't gumming up my sizing die I might just say "Screw it" and deal with it in the wet tumbler after the first firing is out of the way.
That Lapua brass isn't looking so expensive now Wink

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I installed a 30 caliber bronze brush on the Trim Mate. So much better! A rotating brush is far superior to the scrubbing method. I'm spending maybe 10 seconds per case and the sealant is gone.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
On clearance at MidwayUSA
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...aign=lake-city-brass

It's an even better deal, now.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I looked at those 308 cases, almost bought some. I ended up passing though. The reviews are mixed.

In these time of scarce primers being primed is attractive.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post