SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    How Well Do You Inspect Your Pistol Brass
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Well Do You Inspect Your Pistol Brass Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Auto brass gets a cursory look over before and after running for an hour in a walnut vibratory cleaner. I'm looking for split case necks only and use only my own brass. I do not pick up range scrap.

For revolvers, I do not clean them as they've not been ejected into the sandy mix on my home range. While handling them, feeding to my Dillon 550B's, I check for case neck or body cracks. That is all.

Rifle is a different matter; as I check each case for primer leakage, and the neck and shoulders for cracks. The only semi-auto rifle cartridge I load for is 5.56 mm, which I clean in the same walnut vibratory tube as my auto handgun brass, and for the same reason...it's been on the ground and likely picked up sand that'll destroy my loading dies.

I clean only, usually an hour in the tub, as I've found that shiny brass has no effect on accuracy.

Best regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll inspect each case as a size it and prime it
Each case gets a visual inspection

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
One thing I have to consider when reloading .40 S&W (not sure for other calibers) is the "Glock bulge"...see below, other YT videos on topic can be searched for. To combat this, I bought the Lee Bulge Buster Kit and run each piece of brass through. At the same time, each piece of brass is getting a visual inspection.

https://leeprecision.com/case-...lee-bulge-buster-kit

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot only my own brass, bought as new, unprimed; or factory loads that I've shot in my own guns (read: I never pick up range brass - easy since I shoot on my own range here on the farm). That said, for the most part I run 'em through my Dillons, set for moderate loads, but reject any that outwardly appear damaged. Case neck cracks 99% of the time.

Other defects might include slight bulges in .40 S&W from my wife's Glock 23, smoky primer pocket very rarely, and damaged rims.

I do sort by head stamp, and try to keep factory unprimed or assembled loads together by lot. For load work up, I start with new brass, or once fired. New being Starline nearly always.

HTH's and PS: I NEVER SHOOT ANYONE ELSE'S RELOADS - NOT FRIENDS - NOT FAMILY - NOONE'S. Though I do find that friends and family are more than happy to shoot mine. Best Regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I use an Otoscope to check rifle brass, pistol only gets an eyeball.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post