SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Hornady L&L progressive -case mouth flair?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady L&L progressive -case mouth flair? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I started to set-up my Hornady L&L progressive and have run into a question.
The first set-up I'm installing is in 9mm. I'm transferring my LEE dies to the Hornady and using the Hornady powder dispenser.
My LEE powder dispenser flared the case mouth, the Hornady does not appear to.
Am I missing something on the Hornady powder drop were it can flair the case?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hornady die sets have a separate expander die. I think you can buy it separately. I think you can then get some sort of adapter to dispense the powder through the expander die, but the standard powder drop die is not designed to expand the case mouth. I don't really see the advantage to it. I've never needed to use more than five stations.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You need either a powder-through-die expander:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...der-through-expander

or you need to move your powder measure to station three and use a standard expander in station two. Doing the flare at the powder station keeps a station free for the use of a powder cop.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You need either a powder-through-die expander:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...der-through-expander

or you need to move your powder measure to station three and use a standard expander in station two. Doing the flare at the powder station keeps a station free for the use of a powder cop.

THANKS!
I ordered 0ne for each of my handgun cartridges.

I hoped to use my RCBS lock-out die and the LEE factory crimp die, now I have room for all.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Have you guys had much luck with the powder drop flare insert? I found my brass varied too much in overall length so I went back to a separate expander die.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
Have you guys had much luck with the powder drop flare insert? I found my brass varied too much in overall length so I went back to a separate expander die.

I try to run all the same headstamp brass when using a PTX insert. Like you said, I was getting some issues with some cases being expanded too far and some not enough.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been running the AP Lock-N-Load for about five years now. I currently only use it for 9mm and .38 Super. I also have dies set up for .40/10mm, .45 Auto, .300 Blk, and 5.56mm.

I decap and size in the 1st station. I use an RCBS Pow-R-Punch Decapper rod assembly. I find that the spring loaded rod does a better job of ejecting the spent primers so they don’t lock up the shell plate, which happens if the primers don’t make it into the tube.

http://rcbs.com/Products/Acces...Punch-Decap-Rod.aspx

I use the Hornady case activated powder drop in the 2nd station to dispense the powder and flare/expand the mouth of the case at that station. But, instead of using the Hornady PTX I use a universal Powderfunnel powder-thru expander, which I find is easy to adjust to the required amount of flare, and fairly forgiving regarding varying case lengths.

http://ultimatereloader.com/20...er-through-expander/

At the 3rd station I use a Hornady bullet drop die with tubes, which I load prior to the session. I find that three tubes will hold about 100 9mm 124gr bullets.

At the 4th station I use a bullet seating die, adjusted to only seat the bullet to the correct depth. I do not crimp at this station.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die at the 5th station.

With pistol cases I visually monitor the presence of powder. I use about 5.5 gr of Ramshot True Blue or AA#5, which overfills the case if an accidental double-charge occurs.

This system works well for me, happy reloading.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Looks like the universal powderfunnel company is out of business.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Looks like the universal powderfunnel company is out of business.

I bought mine about 4 years ago and haven't checked on availability since then. If I need any more I will likely have one of our guys in the tool room make one.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I decap/resize in station 1. Flair mouth in station 2 using powder thru die. Drop powder in station 3 with Hornady case activated powder measure. Station 4 is RCBS powder cop die. Seat and crimp in station 5 with Lee factory crimp. It works. It is a lot easier to adjust the mouth flair using a separate die from the powder measure die.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I previously used the powder through expander dies with my LNL (only reload 9mm and 223 on it), but the press was often jerky when the cases were coming back down out of the dies, which also led to varied powder drops. I ended up isolating it to the powder dispenser station, and eventually the PTX itself - could never quite get it right - I suspect varied case lengths (I used mixed 9mm brass) contributed significantly to it. Since I can see in the cases pretty easily with my lights and a double charge will overflow with my recipe, I got rid of the powder cop die, and perform the case expansion and powder throw separately, which smoothed out the press considerably.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
The newer PTX is similar to the M-die now show there should not be any problems. I've had my LNL-AP for over 15 yrs, lost count of time. When you use the PTX and want to setup for quick change over you need a Powder die base for each caliber. What you do is set the PTX stop so you get the full stroke needed to operate the powder dispenser. Then you do the adj on the powder die body. This way you change the die body when ever you do a caliber change, 15-20 sec max. Doing it this way there is NO adjustment that is needed. BUT if you ever touch the adj on the PTX Stop you throw off all of your adjustments if you go this way.

I never like the power funnels for they were just a simple flare at the mouth. Did not expand the area where the bullet rides for even neck tension.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post