SIGforum
Second dead GemPro 250

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/1310043894

February 01, 2023, 02:06 AM
barndg00
Second dead GemPro 250
I went to go do some 9mm 147gr subs reloading. As usual, I plugged in the scale first to let it “warm up” and then loaded primer tubes, filled the powder measure, the case feeder, etc. Turned to calibrate the scale only to find it hunting around, generally going up. I used this scale last week for filling (almost) an ammo can worth of 124gr 9mm loads, worked without a hitch. It hasn’t been dropped, nothing except placed back in its original plastic case and sat on the shelf. I let it sit, turned on, for several hours, but it still will not stabilize to be able to zero. I have had this particular scale for at least 3 years without ever having a problem. I did have the same model scale previously, which did fail in a similar fashion, but that was only after I dropped it about 18” onto the table.

I was very happy with this scale, when it worked, but it is no longer made and appears that my issues are not unheard of when I do some searching. Looking at a replacement with a similar resolution, holy-cow they’ve gotten expensive. Not necessary for my blasting 9mm and 223 ammo, but this level of precision has done wonders for my precision rifle (223 and 243) shooting. Any ideas to help my current scale, or if just Kaput, what/where should I look for similar accuracy/precision. I’m not opposed to spending more, but I don’t need a more accurate scale, it will simply screw with my OCD when weighing individual charges of Varget to the single grain…
February 01, 2023, 06:21 AM
sourdough44
Most of these electronic scales are made in China, then relabeled. I have one listed as Cabela’s I still use. I use a light bullet to check accuracy.

There was a sale a while back, I added a Lyman scale for backup. I think it’s this one.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/25979

If needed I still have my 505 balance beam to use.
February 01, 2023, 08:27 AM
Flash-LB
Anything change in the reloading area like fluorescent lights, a fan blowing across the bench, an electric motor close to the scale?

Also, I'm not familiar with that scale, is it battery or plug in the wall? (Wall wart)
February 01, 2023, 08:32 AM
Didls
I have a gem pro 250 that works well. It does drift from time to time. While using the scale I always made sure that the AC source was clean ( no noise ). Noise can be generated by other appliances or lights. I also made sure that I wasn’t generating static electricity( actually used a ground pad). After a year or so of dealing with that I tried another scale more expensive but worth it. The And EJ-123 by A&D was worth every penny. The EJ zeros faster and maintains zero.
February 01, 2023, 11:23 AM
KnightSight
I loved my GemPro 250 until it failed a couple of weeks ago. Similar experience. I would calibrate it and the first weighing after that would be accurate. Subsequent weighings were 10 to 20% off. I submitted a warranty claim on the MyWeigh web site since mine had a 30 year warranty. Still waiting to hear back from them.

I wanted a replacement that had a resolution of 0.01 grains to support reloading for precision rifle. What I bought was the Creedmoor Sports TRX-925 on sale for $299.95.

https://www.creedmoorsports.co...eedmoor_sports_brand

That was more than I wanted to spend. But so far (after just a week), I am very pleased.

This review was a key factor in my decision to buy:

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...scale-review.904159/

This scale is well thought out and readings are very stable. Like I said, so far I'm happy I spent the $300.
February 02, 2023, 01:04 AM
barndg00
Update:
First, I did look around, no new electronics around in the room, no fans, etc. The scale can use batteries or the wall wart (which has a ferrous choke on it). I’ve always used the wall wart, but did try it with new batteries - no change in behavior. Not sure where, but in searching this online, saw that someone had the same type of problem, which somehow cured itself after leaving it plugged in a couple weeks. I left it plugged in and on overnight, rechecked this morning, a lo and behold, its back to normal. Calibrated fine, held zero, repeated weights exactly the same. Was able to load a couple hundred 147gr 9mm cartridges. It is still sitting there at 0.00gr now. Very confusing. It appears functional currently, but I will be on the lookout for a better scale when a deal hopefully comes along.
February 02, 2023, 05:47 AM
KnightSight
Glad you got it working again. I tried leaving mine plugged in for a couple of days. But that didn't work. Maybe I'll try it for longer. It would nice to have a backup to my new one.
February 02, 2023, 04:00 PM
Flash-LB
Are you reloading in a Garage or perhaps somewhere else other than inside your house?

If so it maybe have to do with the entire scale coming up to its ultimate temperature after being turned on.
February 05, 2023, 11:20 AM
barndg00
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Are you reloading in a Garage or perhaps somewhere else other than inside your house?

If so it maybe have to do with the entire scale coming up to its ultimate temperature after being turned on.

No, reloading in a climate controlled basement work room.
February 05, 2023, 12:31 PM
Flash-LB
The reason I asked is this.

I reload in one of the bedrooms in my house.

In the summer, I keep the house at 78 degrees. In the winter I keep it at 71 degrees.

What happens to my digital scale is that in the winter it takes a lot longer to stabilize than it does in the summer and that's because of component drift caused by temperature change.

The cheaper scales, which all reloading scales are, don't use the more expensive compoents which are less temperature sensitive and they don't use crystal ovens so drift happens and the more the components have to heat up, the more drift you'll have.