SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What powders would the SIGForum "those in the know" recommend for reloading .223 for accurate long range shooting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What powders would the SIGForum "those in the know" recommend for reloading .223 for accurate long range shooting? Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
I know the answer will depend on bullet weight and brand...but sometime after the first of the year I am wanting to maybe assemble some rounds for 200 yards plus...I have at this time zero match/varmint bullets, but after the Christmasy shopping lunacy with it's traffic ends, I will venture forth to buy some .223 bullets (a friend in GA has offered to give me a couple hundred Hornady 53 grain .223 match bullets next time I'm in Austell Smile)....I'll also be buying something in the 68 grain weight class...

Right now my .223/.556 powders consist of four+ lbs. of BL-C(2) and a couple pounds of CFE223...I'm also good on about three thousand Remington 7 1/2 small rifle bench rest primers...

So what works for y'all for a good powder for accurate .223 target loads...especially someone stepping up from just basic range type ammo loading.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So.… you've not indicated if this is for Gas or Bolt 223 Rem.

I'll give you my different recipes

Bolt
25gr XBR 8208 under Hornady 75gr ELD Match or 80.5gr Berger Full bore Match. Excellent performance with minimal temperature shift. Achieves 0.5 MOA consistently. I compete with this load frequently in the PRS series.

Gas
25gr CFE 223 under Hornady 75gr BTHP Match. Again, excellent performance.

For distance loads, I'd recommend stepping up to 68 or 75gr projectiles. Hope this helps.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Gas...I didn't even think about that Smile...
Edit...it's also for an 18" 1 in 8 twist.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those projectiles would be perfect in 1:8" twist.

For completeness, I use LC Brass and CCI SR primers. They are loaded to Magazine length.

This achieves 2820fps velocity.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Lots of great powders out there. Just about all of my 223 reloading these days is with Ramshot TAC and Exterminator. I generally use TAC at 55 grains and up, the slightly faster Exterminator at 50 grains and below.

I came to this consensus with some experimentation. They both meter most excellent. I also did a ‘shoot off’ years ago comparing to the old standby H-335. With a shoot, clean, then reshoot, the TAC was noticeably cleaner than H-335.

I did not try any scientific accuracy comparisons, being mostly a hunter, either do fine. Of course if one loading was at a more optimum pressure, it has a better chance of burning cleaner too. Just my anecdotal experience.

I did shoot hundreds of rounds last June in a SD dogtown with an AR, no issues. That was not the case years ago with H-335.

TAC works in a bunch of other rounds too.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
For the light pills I've had excellent results with Tac, normally dime shot groups (5). Over all is less than 1 moa.

For the heavier pills (69gr) I prefer Varget. Get less than 1 moa consistently with it. Tac has been good but not as consistent.

I run a adjustable gas block on all my AR's along with heavy bolts to slow the bolt down.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
I like the H322 running a 55gr Hornady, I believe 23grs sounds right. I like it

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 471 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use X-Terminator with 52 grain Sierra HPBT bullets. Impressed with the accuracy in my AR15. Very clean burning as well.

I have a feeling that beyond 300 yards with any kind of wind I could have some issues with those light little pills.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
El Cid hits the nail on the head. XBR 8208 Same powder and load I use for my bolt guns. I've also found it to be consistent from hot July days to winter coyote shooting. I use either 75 or 80 gr bullets in new LC brass.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8208 is a great powder - meters well.

Only thing I've noticed.....It leaves a green-ish, post burn residue. Anyone else find this??

Andrew

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I like 4895 and Varget for their insensitivity to temperature.

Very little change in muzzle velocity and pressure from cold weather to hot.

Varget is bulkier and can be tricky with the small 223 case. 4895 doesn't want to overflow the case but it doesn't meter great.

I may purchase an automated charge thrower if I find that I can't quite get the accuracy I need from my volumetric. So far that doesn't seem to be the case but I acknowledge that stick powders don't meter great.

I can't claim 'MOA all day long' yet but I shot some 5rd groups at 590 yards the other day with 4895 and 73gr Hornady ELD that averaged just shy of 5 inches in extreme spread.

From Hodgdon:

quote:
Why did Hodgdon develop the Extreme powders and what are they? Hodgdon knows that long range varmint and big game hunters, along with long range match competitors, are the most demanding shooters. These discriminating shooters encounter instances where temperature conditions play a major role in accuracy.

If a powder varies much in pressure and/or velocity, group size and point of impact can change critically. This is why the Extreme powders were developed. They are not affected by temperature. Whether you are shooting at sub-zero conditions or in the summer desert heat, the velocity of an Extreme powder load shows almost no change. Hodgdon Extreme Extruded propellants demonstrate so little variation in performance from one temperature to the next that the shooter can count on unmatched consistency in point of impact and group size.

Only Extreme powders give you the confidence that your ammunition and gun will shoot to your zero no matter what conditions you are in.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
200y isn't really long range & sub 62gr bullets will shoot well with most medium burners. So Varget or AA2520 work for me.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
There are so many powders that work well in 223. I am using a couple of oldies such as IMR 4895 which is my favorite and H 335. Both are very good and accuract using 52 and 55 gr bullets.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post