SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    45 Colt Redhawk loads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt Redhawk loads Login/Join 
Picture of MWG
posted
Got my reloading stuff setup after a 5 year hiatus due to marriage and family and getting ready to start loading for the 45 Colt. I've loaded up some 255 grain SWC over 8.5 grains of Unique for messing around with.

I'm looking for 255ish grain bullets for general plinking and for carry while backpacking /fishing in the Sierra Nevadas. I'm looking at the Oregon Trail laser casts, but wondering if any of the big bore shooters have recommendations re BHN for a general woods carry load? Or other manufacturers you'd go with? Casting my own is not an option right now...

Thanks!

Posts: 212 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot both Penn and Laser Cast 250 gr with 6.9gr W231 for my plinking / range loads. Very accurate load in my S&W Mod 25.

If you every want to push the Ruger to a hunting load try 16gr 2400 with a 270 gr Penn lead bullet. I shot it with 17 grs in Blackhawks that I no longer own, chrono'd 1022 fps in my 5 1/2 barrel, 1066 in the 7 1/2 barrel. PLEASE note this is a RUGER load only!

Posts: 798 | Location: Katy, TX | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
OP, I think you're on the right track, but I've used 9.2gr Unique with 250-255gr bullets in all of my 45 Colts as a general purpose load for the last 30+ years.

The Redhawk will handle the hottest "Ruger only" loads listed in many manuals with ease.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
I was hoping you would chime in...what are you're thoughts on the 255 Oregon Trail bullets?

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the Laser Cast are too hard for most applications. I cast my own, but if I were to buy specialty bullets, not just plinkers, then I like MBW bullets. He also offers more style & weight choices as well as diff sizes.
Check each cyl throat with pin gages or a 0.451" & 0.452" bullet. If the 0.451" bullet won't push thru easily, your throats are too small for best accuracy with a lead bullet. Plus, you are likely to get some leading, specially with harder bullets.
https://www.montanabulletworks...lter_caliber=45-Colt

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
Related question...any thoughts on the 250-255 grain vs 300 grain for general carry in the Sierras? Most of what I've read, seems like the 250-255 grain is the standard.

Bigboreshooter-what type of bullet are you pushing with tha 9.2 grn Unique load?

Thanks!

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My fav 45colt bullet for serious work is the RCBS 270SAA. It actually runs about 285gr cast from range scarp. I also had one cav HP so I can have various HP/weight configs. It is a really accurate & hard hitting bullet pushing along about 1000fps. These can be had from MBW as well.

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with super heavies, 300gr-350gr, but IMO, not needed in a solid form. That 285gr LSWC @ 1000fps will penetrate as deep in wetpack as my 400gr 404jeffery running 2200fps. So not sure what the add'l bullet wt gets you but more recoil. In HP form, a 300gr would allow more mass for better penetration as the bullet expands.
I keep thinking I "need" a 4" Redhawk to go with my 4 5/8" RBH/ss.

Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
Fredj338...that's exactly what I've been looking for! I've got Brian Pierces data on that bullet but was having a hard time finding where to buy it!

Any recommendations on air cooled BHN15 vs heat treated BHN22?

Thanks!

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bigboreshooter-what type of bullet are you pushing with tha 9.2 grn Unique load?

Mostly 250-255gr hardcast; whatever is cheapest at the time. I've used Oregon Trail, Laser Cast, whatever I find at the gun show.... Even used this load with 230gr RN when I ran out of SWC's. Used the same load with 200gr JHP's as well.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a 45 Colt Redhawk & Blackhawk with reloads from mild 45 Schofield to 'Ruger only'.

A mid to upper charge of Unique is plenty for most uses. My upper end loads are 265 grain WFN bullets with H-110 powder.

I'm normally mid range with Unique or H Universal though.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any recommendations on air cooled BHN15 vs heat treated BHN22?

If you are not running them over 1300fps, I like a softer bullet. They generally shoot better than over hard ones. 22BHN is for vel over 1500fps & higher pressure levels IMO.

Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
Which would be considered "Hard Cast" in regards to penetration? Or are they relatively equal in that regard?

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which would be considered "Hard Cast" in regards to penetration? Or are they relatively equal in that regard?

I am not sure I understand the question but either bullet running 1000fps is not likely to stay inside anything under 200#. Even 15BHN is pretty hard, not likely to even deform at that velocity. The 22BHN bullets should be reserved for rifle like vel, over 1400fps, maybe 454 casull, maybe.

Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Also, still waiting on the Redhawk, but have read a lot re tight throats and barrel constriction at the threads...are the newer Redhawks better in this regard?

Thanks!

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you!Also, still waiting on the Redhawk, but have read a lot re tight throats and barrel constriction at the threads...are the newer Redhawks better in this regard?Thanks!

Every gun will be slightly diff, so you jut have to check it when you get it. Pin gages for the cyl throats will tell you exactly what each throat is bored to. You can slug the bbl, but IMO, cyl throats are dictating results with lead bullets.