SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Kydex IWB for G 43

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Kydex IWB for G 43 Login/Join 
Member
posted
I have mostly Remora sticky holsters for my G43, and later also my Sig 365, and find them very convenient, and comfortable for all day use. But in my old age I have questioned whether sticky holsters might be less protective than kydex with positive retention.
A search on this forum led to old threads which are making me lean towards getting a Zorn Skinny Rig
https://zornholsters.com/product/skinny-rig/
or the widely recommended Vedder Light Tuck.
Does anyone have experience with either of these two, or have other recommendations for a kydex IWB for the G43?
I carry at 3-4 o'clock, not appendix.
The Skinny Rig seems like it might be a thinner profile because the clip is offset from the frame, while the Light Tuck has the clip over the frame of the gun.
Any comments on these two or others?
Thanks in advance.
 
Posts: 553 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
You can’t beat Vedder holsters on their price/shipping. Labor Day sale 10% off.
Typically, Vedder makes/ships within a week.
Light Tuck with claw - you won’t be disappointed.
 
Posts: 1857 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Boraii offers a better trigger guard and retention than the Remora. My preference for pocket carry is Boraii, not pricy @$17.
 
Posts: 1857 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Boraii offers a better trigger guard and retention than the Remora. My preference for pocket carry is Boraii, not pricy @$17.


Thank you. The Boraii look like a very nice option for pocket carry, but also possibly a nice bedside option -- almost a trigger guard holster that doesn't need a lanyard.

But what about a IWB kydex that doesn't need a clip (like a sticky holster doesn't) or has a clip that doesn't add width?
 
Posts: 553 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Kydex gives you retention, a covered trigger and the ability to reholster.
I’m leary of a fabric type holster to “cover” the trigger while carrying IWB. My 2 cents.
To draw from IWB- need that clip.
 
Posts: 1857 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I cannot recommend PJ Holster too highly.

I bought a Kydex IWB holster for my Walther PPS M2 from him in 2016. That combo has been my favorite IWB carry ever since. Just this year the built-in clip gave up the ghost. I emailed Paul, asking him about making me a new one. No need. He covered it under warranty.

I had him build the same holster/mag pair for my Springfield EMP. Beautiful Smile

For my Ruger LCP he built me a little IWB holster for use with very light gym shorts that has a very solid retention clip. It, likewise, works and wears flawlessly.

He's quick, too. I think in all cases it was ±two weeks from order to delivery. And his prices are quite reasonable.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me
 
Posts: 20896 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Kydex gives you retention, a covered trigger and the ability to reholster.
I’m leary of a fabric type holster to “cover” the trigger while carrying IWB. My 2 cents.
To draw from IWB- need that clip.

A good holster should:
  • cover the trigger guard completely
  • be made of hard enough material that the trigger can not be engaged
  • secure enough that if you hold the holster upside down, you can not easily shake the pistol out of it.

I don't agree w/ everything the ASP guy says in the vid below. He is especially critical of hybrid holsters. I've seen good & bad hybrids. I do agree w/ his main points.

https://youtu.be/Ox7GrdjqRXk

The Remora satisfies the first two points above but not the shake test. Sticky-type holsters like the Remora have their place depending on circumstances & situation but IMHO shouldn't be relied on for IWB EDC.
 
Posts: 2277 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
You can’t beat Vedder holsters on their price/shipping. Labor Day sale 10% off.
Typically, Vedder makes/ships within a week.
Light Tuck with claw - you won’t be disappointed.


I agree with this. I have one for my G43, G19, HK P2000 and Sig P365 with RMR cut. You’ll love it.
 
Posts: 2233 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Kydex gives you retention, a covered trigger and the ability to reholster.
I’m leary of a fabric type holster to “cover” the trigger while carrying IWB. My 2 cents.
To draw from IWB- need that clip.


Yep.
That's where I'm coming from. There's no good reason for it -- I have a million Remoras, and have carried my Glocks almost only in them, and they serve as resting place for other drawer and safe guns. I find them comfortable, inexpensive, adjustable, easy to use. And I have never had a hint of problems. And I have never read on the Intoonut about any problems with AD's with them...
But that soft material just has always made me a little uncomfortable.

I really appreciate all of the replies.

If there is a clip in my future (ugh!), is a clip that is offset from the frame something that is beneficial and works for you (like the Zorn Skinny Rig above)?
 
Posts: 553 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the comments on Vedder and PJ.
 
Posts: 553 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
If there is a clip in my future (ugh!), is a clip that is offset from the frame something that is beneficial and works for you (like the Zorn Skinny Rig above)?

An offset clip helps to keep the pistol grip positioned in close to your body to reduce printing. A claw works much better. At the Zorn website you linked, the first photo shows a model w/ offset clip & claw.
 
Posts: 2277 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have several Zorn Skinny rigs and a couple wraiths for other Glocks- 26,19 (dont have a 43), but the quality is excellent.
I don't know if he still does this, but if you contact him directly, you can custom spec the holster if you need some slight changes. I like a little deeper carry height and a very slight negative cant, and gave him a couple pictures to go off of, and he built it.

My two other favorite holsters are Tenicor and G-code Incog. Both have G43 options
 
Posts: 6845 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Thank you for the comments on Vedder and PJ.

You're welcome.

Here are some photos of the combination I took a while ago:







That last is with his horizontal OWB mag carrier.

You can't see it in any of the photos, but both holster and mag carrier are with open belt loop clips, which make for very easy on/off.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me
 
Posts: 20896 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
I have mostly Remora sticky holsters for my G43, and later also my Sig 365, and find them very convenient, and comfortable for all day use. But in my old age I have questioned whether sticky holsters might be less protective than kydex with positive retention.
A search on this forum led to old threads which are making me lean towards getting a Zorn Skinny Rig
https://zornholsters.com/product/skinny-rig/
or the widely recommended Vedder Light Tuck.
Does anyone have experience with either of these two, or have other recommendations for a kydex IWB for the G43?
I carry at 3-4 o'clock, not appendix.
The Skinny Rig seems like it might be a thinner profile because the clip is offset from the frame, while the Light Tuck has the clip over the frame of the gun.
Any comments on these two or others?
Thanks in advance.


I can speak to the Zorn, but I regularly carry my G43 in a G-Code Incog and it’s the best IWB I’ve owned to date.
 
Posts: 286 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Kydex IWB for G 43

© SIGforum 2021