SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Anyone carry a Derringer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone carry a Derringer? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Or any really small pocket pistol?

I would never want to carry all the time but sometimes when you really need more concealment it might be necessary.

Now on those occasions I just carry a Ruger LCR which is pretty easy to carry.
The reasons I don't like to carry a small weapon is that they are just not as effective.
Something is better than nothing would be my philosophy even though a two shot small caliber gun wouldn't take one very far in a gunfight.

I guess a Bond Deringer or a Sig P238 or other smallish pistol could be considered.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
There are times when there is a need to carry and deep cover is necessary. Have a sturdy nylon t-shirt with reinforced pockets under each armpit. Wearing that undershirt, covered by a normal shirt, with a Colt 1903 is undetectable unless a metal detector is involved. Not a fan of the average person wanting to hug me (very attractive women excepted) but if someone comes on to me I keep my arms at my side which prevents the hugger from feeling the thin metal lump of the very slim 1903. Downside is access to the weapon is not fast, I do keep a button unbuttoned to be able to gain a quicker grip.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1600 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for going small I have the LCP Max and a 442. Both conceal easily in pretty much any pants pocket, both superior IMO to a derringer type pistol. I don't have any, I consider them more of a novelty gun, not a viable self defense gun. A derringer could work of course, better than nothing, but I think these or similar are better choices for that purpose Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NAA Pug in .22WMR.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I am known to carry a Seecamp 32 acp quite frequently.

Posts: 3021 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

I guess a Bond Deringer or a Sig P238 or other smallish pistol could be considered.
The difference in size between a P238 and a P938 is very small. I have a P938 for when I want to carry a pocket size pistol. I find it easy to shoot well.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have this little guy but it's not one I rely on very often.

Armi Galesi 25ACP

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I owned two different American Derringer M-1's.
The first one was chambered in .22 Mag rimfire.
At seven yards, it shot about 1.5 feet above point of aim.
I have a buddy that is an extremely talented TIG welder.
He laid several beads of stainless steel filler rod on top of the integral front sight blade.
I carefully filed it for width, and then went to the range and filed it for height.
When finished and with polishing, you could not tell it from factory. It did shoot exactly to point of aim.

I probably should have kept that nice American Derringer .22 Mag M-1 Derringer.

Some time after that the local gun shop had another M-1 chambered in .357 Magnum.
I had to have it!
The store owner was happy to trade me the .357 Magnum M-1 for the M-1 in .22 Mag rimfire.
Apparently, that .357 Magnum M-1 had sat in the pistol case for well over a year and nobody bought it.
He even added a free box of Winchester .357 Magnum deer hunting ammo with 180 grain JHP projectiles.
I took that brand new .357 Magnum M-1 to the range and loaded it up with the free ammo.
I put a death grip on the gun and fired the first shot.
The recoil drove the hammer spur back into the web of my hand and I bled like a stuck pig.

I do recall carrying that .357 Magnum M-1 once on a backpacking black bear hunt in the mountains as a handgun backup for a 30-06 bolt action rifle.
After that hunting trip, the .357 Mag M-1 sat in the safe and became a safe queen.
I tired of the Derringer novelty and traded it away.

If you want a Derringer for the novelty, by all means buy one if it floats your boat.
However, there are many other much more suitable very small handguns that are more effective for carry purposes.
I have looked at the Bond Arms lineup. They make one now that has minimal hand polishing/finishing. They are quite affordable.

Knowing from personal experience, and the scar on the web of my shooting hand, I would NEVER own a derringer chambered in any cartridge larger than 9mm or .38 Special.
If .22 Mag rimfire was an available chambering, that would likely be my caliber choice.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1569 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I had one in .357 mag thirty years ago. I shot it 4 times and promptly sold it. There's no grip and it was a terrible experience to shoot.

For a pocket pistol I like S&W .38 special J-frame.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1936 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I see no reason to. .380 ACP pocket pistols like the LCP are about the same size but hold three times the ammo.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walther TPh 22lr everywhere.

Davis Derringer .38 spc with shot shells for walking around outside the house.

Posts: 557 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have one in .22 mag. It might seem like a good idea until the first time you shoot one. It's a novelty and nothing more. Stuff like the little pocket auto .25's and .380's are a lot better for this kind of thing and made derringers obsolete over a century ago.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was gifted 2 Derringers several years ago both were chambered in 38special. They weren't as small as one would think and since they were all steel, were fairly heavy. These guns were designed before ergonomics were a consideration.
I sold both off after a while without ever shooting them.
If your looking for a deep concealment pistol, there are so many better options out there that I wonder why anyone would ever buy a Derringer.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a NAA Pug for around the house stuff where I wouldnt otherwise go with my edc. I agree with the above, derringers are quite large and heavy for what they offer. Doesnt mean don't get one, I just think there are better options.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta 21 or 950. Easy to pocket carry.

Posts: 4750 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
just got the Pug Shadow (the black one, not stainless) I've kept it in my pocket since I bought it, however, we finally got a couple of cool days, so it's about time to carry something a little more substantial, or maybe both, I haven't decided, yet

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2032 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seecamp 32 when I need to go invisible.

Posts: 1677 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
NAA Pug in .22WMR.

Me too. I carry the .22 mag NAA Pug in my pocket in a kydex holster.

Posts: 6038 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post