SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Looking for Advise, Chest Seal for CCW or Accident Injuries.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Advise, Chest Seal for CCW or Accident Injuries. Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
Looking for some forum input on carrying some basic medical kit items.
Since I've had zero real world experience in the area of chest seals, I'd like to see what others that have some experience think, and also recommendations as far as specific brands.
I have other basic items I carry in my car and a few in a backpack/briefcase (Tourniquet, Israeli Bandage) and have been considering a chest seal for abdominal or chest punctures. These could be needed for the more likely event of a serious auto accident or firearms injury.

Do you see them often used in accidents and are they easy for an untrained person like me to apply in an emergency?

Are there certain brands to get or stay away from?

Posts: 9717 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Rusch-I...n%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-5

We used these for years at my FD. Easy to use, do what they are suppose to. We didn't get them from Amazon though.

Edit to add these are more for sucking chest wounds. Puncture to the chest. Nothing to do with the Abd. Also If you are unfortunate enough to have to use one of these or any other you will need to wipe area off of heavy blood before sticking it to them. That's just the way it is.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1148 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is get some training. The best chest seal is worthless if you don't know how to use it. There are classes called 'stop the bleed' that deal specifically with this issue. I also took a motorcycle specific first aid class that focuses on heavy bleeding first aid.

https://www.stopthebleed.org/training/

https://www.verywellhealth.com...20used%20by%20anyone.

Posts: 7082 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the training. Preferably done hands on by a local expert. I'd then purchase the same seal you used for training. You could also purchase a spare set to practice with. The first time you see the chest seal shouldn't be when you are trying to put it on someone.

I use vented Hyfin chest seals, because that what I got trained on in CLS back in the day. But I can't give you a quantified reason why.

Posts: 4687 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I was teaching a First Responder/TacMed class last week and opened a Hyfin vented chest seal that had been in my car for at least 12 years.

Damn thing was just like new. Absolutely amazed me.

But I’ve seen others that were 2 years old and the adhesive had already melted.

My advice? Not a bad thing to have, but duct tape and some plastic work too.

Just like a CAT or SOF-T. Great to have, but I’d rather have the guy that can make an effective tourniquet out of a pair of gym shorts.

Find some good training, then go from there…that’s my advice. Penetrating thoracic trauma is not a normal thing in everyday life. Covering the hole with your hand until a responder with the appropriate training/equipment will be a solid initial plan.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11461 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use Hyfins. Strongly recommend but if you go to training and someone puts one on your shirt instead of on your chest you will never really be happy with that shirt again. I can only imagine what would happen to your chest hair.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post