SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Ohio CCW Renewal - Lack of Appt Availability

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Ohio CCW Renewal - Lack of Appt Availability Login/Join 
Member
posted
My CHL expired in July 2020 when the sheriffs offices were closed. I finally had an appointment scheduled back in February 2021 to renew, but had to cancel that appointment due to an injury and complete inability to walk. (I called and gave them over a week's notice when I cancelled.)

I've been trying for over two months to get an appointment before Ohio's extension expires on July 1. I cannot get into my county (Summit) or any surrounding county until at least September! I've tried calling Portage county multiple times where I originally had my appointment scheduled and can't even get them to return my voicemails. (Portage doesn't schedule online like many others.)

Has anyone else in Ohio had an issue? I can't imagine I'm the only one. Any wind of Ohio doing anything to help us out?


What guns? Oh, you mean my nail gun? Yep, that's the only gun I own!
 
Posts: 1919 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
That sucks. In Gaston County NC, the Sheriff sent me a heads up renewal letter in Dec 2020, 3 months before expiration, suggesting I submit my renewal paperwork early because it might take a while. It did take 2 months with no issues. For what it's worth, Sheriff is a Dem and a stand-up guy. I've personally met him through my Civil Air Patrol affiliation, and he offered his facilities for our squadron meeting for about 6 months when we had no where else to go.
 
Posts: 3579 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I don't think we have that kind of problem in Hardin County. 419-673-1268


_____________________

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson
 
Posts: 4951 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
erikas,

Same thing basically for me. I scheduled my appointment in November, 2020...my appointment is on 5/28/21 @ 9:15 am. I will have to go into work late on Friday so I can renew. I've been expired since April but with the extension DeWine granted I'm ok. I also noticed on the website that you now have to take a self addressed stamped envelope with you so I'm assuming they mail your new license to you now as opposed to going back to pick it up.

My friend told me the old way of where you can only go to your county or a county that touches your county is waived because of the virus and you can go to any location in Ohio. My friend also told me he went to Wooster and was in and out very quickly.
 
Posts: 7653 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Didnt have that problem in Clermont,had a month to go and i walked in the Sheriffs dept, took about 10 minutes,and 6 days later had my new one in the mail.
 
Posts: 14 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
erikas,

Same thing basically for me. I scheduled my appointment in November, 2020...my appointment is on 5/28/21 @ 9:15 am. I will have to go into work late on Friday so I can renew. I've been expired since April but with the extension DeWine granted I'm ok. I also noticed on the website that you now have to take a self addressed stamped envelope with you so I'm assuming they mail your new license to you now as opposed to going back to pick it up.

My friend told me the old way of where you can only go to your county or a county that touches your county is waived because of the virus and you can go to any location in Ohio. My friend also told me he went to Wooster and was in and out very quickly.


Thanks! I actually tried to get into Wooster with no luck. I'm more annoyed by Portage County never returning any of my phone calls. My last voicemail even explained why I originally had to cancel.

I have an appointment on July 23 in Stark County. It's an hour drive from my work so I'll pretty much have to take a half day. It also means no carrying for at least 3 or 4 weeks.


What guns? Oh, you mean my nail gun? Yep, that's the only gun I own!
 
Posts: 1919 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Wow! I just checked and Geauga County suddenly has a ton of availability. I just booked for tomorrow morning!

I guess I'll cancel Stark once I actually go.


What guns? Oh, you mean my nail gun? Yep, that's the only gun I own!
 
Posts: 1919 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erikras:
Wow! I just checked and Geauga County suddenly has a ton of availability. I just booked for tomorrow morning!

I guess I'll cancel Stark once I actually go.


That's great news! I'll be glad when my appointment is over tomorrow.
 
Posts: 7653 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by erikras:
Wow! I just checked and Geauga County suddenly has a ton of availability. I just booked for tomorrow morning!

I guess I'll cancel Stark once I actually go.


That's great news! I'll be glad when my appointment is over tomorrow.


My appointment was for 9:15 am. I arrived at 9:00 am and they took me in. I was the 1st person to arrive for the day (1st appointment was late Big Grin.) In and out in a total of 20 minutes.

The only complaint I had was the lady who took my DD214 in lieu of payment and took my fingerprints kept my expired license. When I asked her if I'd be able to still carry until the new license arrived she kind of crabbily said I'd have to ask the Sheriff's any questions. The Sherriff's who helped me prior(and who were both very professional) said it's ok to carry and if stopped explain I had already started the renewal process and I'd get my new license in 3 - 4 weeks.

How did your appointment go erikas?
 
Posts: 7653 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by erikras:
Wow! I just checked and Geauga County suddenly has a ton of availability. I just booked for tomorrow morning!

I guess I'll cancel Stark once I actually go.


That's great news! I'll be glad when my appointment is over tomorrow.


My appointment was for 9:15 am. I arrived at 9:00 am and they took me in. I was the 1st person to arrive for the day (1st appointment was late Big Grin.) In and out in a total of 20 minutes.

The only complaint I had was the lady who took my DD214 in lieu of payment and took my fingerprints kept my expired license. When I asked her if I'd be able to still carry until the new license arrived she kind of crabbily said I'd have to ask the Sheriff's any questions. The Sherriff's who helped me prior(and who were both very professional) said it's ok to carry and if stopped explain I had already started the renewal process and I'd get my new license in 3 - 4 weeks.

How did your appointment go erikas?


Geauga County was a class act all the way. They have dedicated parking for CHL right outside the entrance. Walked right in and sat down at one of the two desks even though I was 10 minutes early.

Almost ironically, the woman from Portage County finally called me back this morning. Not sure how many times I called over the past couple of months. I just told her I had it taken care of at Geauga since I hadn't heard back from her.


What guns? Oh, you mean my nail gun? Yep, that's the only gun I own!
 
Posts: 1919 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Good to hear!
 
Posts: 7653 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
erikas,

Got my renewal sometime while I was on vacation out of town last week (unsure what day as my son picked up the mail while I was out of town.) The issue date is 6/8/21, or only 11 days after my appointment. I'm very pleased with how easy and quick my renewal went with Summit county.

Have you gotten your renewal license back yet?
 
Posts: 7653 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
erikas,

Got my renewal sometime while I was on vacation out of town last week (unsure what day as my son picked up the mail while I was out of town.) The issue date is 6/8/21, or only 11 days after my appointment. I'm very pleased with how easy and quick my renewal went with Summit county.

Have you gotten your renewal license back yet?


Mine showed up in the mail exactly 8 days after my appointment.


What guns? Oh, you mean my nail gun? Yep, that's the only gun I own!
 
Posts: 1919 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Last time I renewed I went to Wayne County. Scheduled the appointment online, took about 10 minutes total and was able to pick up my permit the very next day. Much different than Stark County where I live.
 
Posts: 2219 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Ohio CCW Renewal - Lack of Appt Availability

© SIGforum 2021