SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Is an ASP legal in the state of Washington?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is an ASP legal in the state of Washington? Login/Join 
posted
I think the answer is yes from my interpretation of RCW 9.41.270 which reads in part:

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

I'll be in Vancouver next week for a conference, I plan to carry one of these (hidden in my shorts) for dog repellent while jogging:

http://www.galls.com/asp-16-co...-on-expandable-baton

As long as I don't "...intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons..." can I carry a concealed ASP in WA?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Is that an expanded baton in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for the Definitions section, or something like it, in the WA statutes, and see the definition of "club." If there is no definition, start poring through the law books for a precedent-setting case.

In Texas, FWIW, an ASP baton is, indeed, a club. Baton = Club. Same-Same. Being collapsible does not alter this. WA, of course, may vary from Texas in this regard.

Then, there is the matter of intimidating and alarming. Again, look for case law, if there are no clear definitions in the statutes.

Actually, if unsure, I think I could survive a weekend without going jogging. Wink

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I know it's late, but they are legal.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post