SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    OWB 1911 holster with THUMB BREAK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OWB 1911 holster with THUMB BREAK Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
I still have to find an OWB (THUMB BREAK) holster for my Commander size 1911 that goes over the rear of the slide PROPERLY, with the hammer cocked and locked.

I have purchased a Galco model and 1791Gunleather. Both Thumb break straps were too long on both makers. It loops higher than the rear of the slide. The GALCO one can even go over the cocked hammer. The thumb safety gets disengaged (when I practice carrying unloaded at home).

The 1791 Gunleather does not disengage the thumb safety. But the thumb break still did not properly fit.

Anyone found a good fitting 1911 OWB holster with a thumb break?

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Rogue. I watched the video where the gentleman explained that the thumb break can be too tight at times and how to break it in. I would rather have the thumb break really tight, than too long and it makes a loop. I just placed my order.

quote:

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I received the Mitch Rosen holster today. Thanks for the recommendation again Rogue. The fitment is perfect. I added a picture of the new holster, and the last holster I purchased (and returned).

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Looking good!

In that last photo, it appears the thumb break on that particular holster was designed to be used with the hammer down (uncocked).

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
The seller of the last holster specifically described it as "Cocked and Locked" holster in the Advertisement. That is why I purchased that holster. Too bad that it did not fit properly. I returned it. The material and stitching of that last holster was excellent. When I decide to purchase an open top 1911 holster, I will definitely consider them again.

But this Mitch Rosen is PERFECT fit.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Looking good!

In that last photo, it appears the thumb break on that particular holster was designed to be used with the hammer down (uncocked).

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
The very first holster that came to my mind on seeing this thread title has already been suggested and purchased: Mitch Rosen. While I don’t use mine as much these days, I have that same holster sized for a Government Model.

I remember when calling-in to order it, I asked the associate on the phone if the holster was configured for cocked-and-locked carry, and was told that’s the only way they make them. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6730 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are those Heinie Straight 8 sights?

Posts: 1151 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Yes they are.

quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Are those Heinie Straight 8 sights?

posted Hide Post
Desantis makes one as well. I've got one for my S&W 1911, but I don't use it enough to recommend it.

Posts: 4750 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
Check out Legion Leather, Ted over there has a few options.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Tucker Gunleather in Texas makes some good looking ones.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1936 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I have a DeSantis holster that works fine on my full size 1911. I would imagine they'd have one in commander size

Posts: 1545 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool pics, like the Thunder Ranch 1911 a great deal. Big Grin

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post