SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    FL Lawmakers approve permitless carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FL Lawmakers approve permitless carry Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Florida lawmakers approve bill to allow carrying of concealed weapons without a permit
Story by James Tutten • 1h ago

Link

Gov. Ron DeSantis said he will sign a new bill that allow the carrying of guns without a concealed weapons permit.

It will end the decades-old requirement that included background checks and firearms training.

Gun owners would still be required to have a valid ID while carrying their weapon.

The bill attracted both supporters and critics.

The bill also provides money to harden school security.

And would allow private schools to participate in the controversial “Guardians” program, which allows armed guards on campus.

Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, click here to download the WFTV Now app for your smart TV and click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.

Posts: 23954 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if the bill does away with a Florida CCP entirely? That would be bad for those like me that carry in states which recognize Florida permits but are not themselves constitutional permit less carry states, so I need my Florida permit.

Posts: 565 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if the bill does away with a Florida CCP entirely? That would be bad for those like me that carry in states which recognize Florida permits but are not themselves constitutional permit less carry states, so I need my Florida permit.

It does not. You are good to go. It also excuses the holder from the 3 day waiting period.

Posts: 877 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:

excuses the holder from the 3 day waiting period.
That's not a new thing. It's been around for at least ten years that I know of (personal experience), I have no idea how much longer than ten years. I bought my first SIG just a bit over ten years ago in Mt. Dora, sales dude asked for my carry permit. Told him I didn't have one yet, it was in process. He responded, "too bad. If you had one you could take this with you, but without the permit you have a three business day waiting period."

Asshole that I am at times, I had to bite my tongue to keep from spouting Homer Simpson's line: "Three days? I might not even be mad any more."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31123 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good! Thanks JD.

Posts: 565 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
And would allow private schools to participate in the controversial “Guardians” program, which allows armed guards on campus.

That's a 144 hour program, but the state pays sherrifs' offices that provide the training. A class G security guard license is only 28 hours. Also, according to the opinion of the Attorney General of Florida, there is nothing in Florida law that prevents a school from hiring armed security guards. Advisory Legal Opinion 2014-13

Interestingly enough, the same logic Pam Bondi used in that opinion seems like it would apply to armed people in general.

I looked this up when my church was starting a preschool. Many members carry and I was curious what the ramifications of a preschool might be. This particular phrase "except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities" is interesting. Without it, the school kitchen wouldn't be allowed to have knives, nor would a cooking class, or the maintenance staff, etc.

Posts: 11351 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post