SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    How do you carry when riding your scooter?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you carry when riding your scooter? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
My scooter has 781cc. When I ride, I do like to be armed. I have found owb is not concealed with my riding jacket. I have found iwb painful when leaned over the tank. I did find a way to carry in a tank bag, but obviously separating me from the weapon. I am thinking shoulder holster is about all that is left to try.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I always made sure I bought a riding jacket with a zippered external pocket that would fit my gun of choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JJexp,

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoulder rig works for me. And more often than not, I just throw an S&W 442 and a speed strip into my vest pockets.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I always made sure I bought a riding jacket with a zippered external pocket that would fit my gun if choice.

This is how I handled it. With a zipper to open up and gloved hands, you're not going to get to it quickly. The best defense you have is your right hand on the throttle. The maneuverability of the bike is your best option.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first read "scooter" I was going to say try a thigh holster under your skirt. Smile A friend of mine uses a shoulder holster while riding. He says it's the best option he's found.

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OWB, but in a slightly higher riding holster.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
IWB tuckable at 3-5 O'clock.

Same way, all day, two wheels, four or none.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
When off the bike (refueling, coffee stop)I'll wear it IWB. While riding it goes in a tool bag on my front forks, or in saddlebags SECURED!

Reason is I cannot ride comfortably wearing it and know what it's like to shoot from a moving motorcycle. Doesn't work for me, and I would hate to wound/kill somebody or something because I couldn't properly aim and see the background, or have a wreck while trying to do so.

My opinion only. Your results may be different.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I prefer my Tommy's Gun Pack. I don't think it stands out with my riding gear and it stays with me when I get off the bike.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
When I first read "scooter" I was going to say try a thigh holster under your skirt. Smile A friend of mine uses a shoulder holster while riding. He says it's the best option he's found.

So you're saying the thigh holster is gtg?

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://flic.kr/p/Y4ZvhJ

I cannot wear a skirt with my jacket. It would clash.

-------

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
(Way off topic) Is that an '07, 4MUL8R?

God bless America.

Posts: 13397 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
2002 with 14k miles painted in HRC colors.

-------

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I always made sure I bought a riding jacket with a zippered external pocket that would fit my gun if choice.

This is how I handled it. With a zipper to open up and gloved hands, you're not going to get to it quickly. The best defense you have is your right hand on the throttle. The maneuverability of the bike is your best option.

Jim

Fanny pack but I only ride off road now as the traffic and drivers make me nervous in the city.
I agree that maneuverability is your best defense in the city, especially if you have a dual-sport and can move around more.

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
2002 with 14k miles painted in HRC colors.

Aha. The colors are what got me.
Almost 10K on my dark candy red '07.
A friend has the '07 Anniversary (R-W-B) Edition.

Back on topic... Have you looked at the Kenai mentioned in another thread?

God bless America.

Posts: 13397 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Aside from cost Kenai looks good.

-------

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Understood.

God bless America.

Rosie, the Corgi,
is my copilot
posted Hide Post
When I rode my cruiser, I carried my J-frame .357 in a cross draw holster but carried in the appendix position.

Posts: 3672 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
When I'm riding I use a T-shirt holster.

I figure I'm not going to be drawing it while I'm on the bike -- have to stop first -- so speed of deployment isn't a primary concern. The T-shirt holster puts it under my weak side armpit, where it isn't likely to cause or enhance injury if I take a spill. And I don't have to worry about a tank bag when I'm away from the bike paying for gas or getting something to eat or just walking around stretching my legs.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
For me it's either IWB or I have a leather vest with inside pockets designed for carry.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6473 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post