SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    LEOs and anyone who wears a vest to work...how do you carry your BUG?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEOs and anyone who wears a vest to work...how do you carry your BUG? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^ yep

The G-30 is in a pancake holster on my garrison belt under my duty belt. The Safariland duty holster is actually just foreword of the 3:00 position. (My trigger is in line with the seam in my trousers)

It's NOT a light set-up! And these days I rarely carry the BUG.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know at one time, the Troopers of the KY State Police used to have their uniforms altered for a BUG that was issued.

I believe the two places was on their ankle or the inside of their duty shirt.

I used to have a Guns and Weapons of LE magazine where they were featured. It was a great write up regarding the organization. It must have been the last year or so I finally tossed it into the recycle bin.

This was a topic of discussion at my last agency. The Dept was in the process of ordering external vest carriers and one of the topics/concerns was if and where a BUG could be carried.

"External vest carriers make life even easier. A quality holster attached to the inside of the vest on the support side keeps a BUG secure and accessible at the same time. For many officers, carrying to the support side of their trauma plate is a comfortable and concealable location. From this spot, the BUG can be drawn from any position and while moving." (Police1.com)

The only concern/drawback is if an Officer gets in an accident and the air bag is deployed? Could carrying it this way cause any additional damage to an Officer if the air bag is deployed?

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
There's enough crap hanging off my chest these days, with bodycam, shoulder mic, front pocket contents, etc., that if an airbag goes off, I don't think the J-Frame is going to make it any worse.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always carried a 442 in my left front pocket. This gave either hand access to a gun. I organized my duty belt to maximize clearance.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used an ankle holster that was on the boot and threaded into the laces and also had a neoprene strap with Velcro . I think it was a galco brand…just looked it up, it was a g and g boot lock holster.
We wore professional uniform and I’m/was skinny so the revolver didn’t show. I did get smooth wooden grips because the pants leg would get snagged with rubber grips

https://www.amazon.com/Gould-G...olster/dp/B01N13E0SG

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I did the ankle rig, I had a seamstress split the seam on my pants and put velcro in its place so I could tear away the pants leg to access the gun. But I never felt really comfortable (despite a good quality holster) with ankle carry after I witnessed a buddy kick an S&W Model 60 down the street while chasing a guy. And I was with a Detective in a restaurant in plain clothes and went we left the booth, he lost a Colt snub off an ankle rig and kicked it out into the aisle. That was the high point of the meal! Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Back when I carried the G26, I used a Galco Ankle Glove, and that thing was excellent. I had heard the horror stories, and was always cognzent of the possibilities, but that thing never let me down, even during foot pursuits, mucking though swamps, or rolling around with people on the ground. It's a darn good holster. If I didn't have to worry about the circulation in my feet now, I'd still be using it.

Sadly, Galco didn't makes one for the P320, so I had to switch to a Desantis nylon holster for "small autos". It worked fine...I still never lost the gun...but it never instilled the same confidence as that Ankle Glove.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we didn't have cargo pockets I ran my BUG in an ankle holster then transitioned to a left pocket holster(DeSantis nemesis). I found the ankle gun was easy to access in a car but otherwise not great and got dirty far faster. I also know a guy whose BUG popped out of his ankle rig with snap and joined him when he tackled a bad guy. It worked out but a scary moment.

I moved to my right cargo pocket when we got cargos on duty. Kept the DeSantis and that worked well until I recently moved to an offline spot where my BUG is my primary now.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you prefer ankle carry, but want to avoid constricting your ankle, you might look at the G&G Boot Lock which is laced onto the boot itself. I also understand Original S.W.A.T. is introducing a boot with an integral holster.

Good luck on the diabetes and good work losing weight. Trust me, I feel your pain.

Posts: 24 | Registered: December 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
I wore an Oregon City carrier from Safariland, which had a small pocket just inside the zipper that was big enough to hold my G26. I looped a holster like this through the material, so it would pull off during the draw. I don't know if your new carrier would allow that.

If you don't have zipper access, but your new carrier has molle up front, another option that comes to mind would be a simple rectangular zip pouch holding your BUG. Some coworkers used this method and threw a first aid patch on the pouch...

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The rectangular zip pouch isn't a bad idea at all.

Another local agency has that Oregon City carrier, and us night shift guys are fans. We asked about getting them, but I still don't know what carrier they bought us, because the uniform store guy never ordered it when we placed the order for our vests. So we waited 2 months the for the vests to come in, then discovered that there are no carriers. So he placed an order for the carriers a month and a half ago when the vests got here...said he had all the measurements but I don't believe him. When they finally get them in, he'll probably have to send half of them back for the appropriate size. Meanwhile, my brand new vest is just hanging on the rack in my bedroom, slowly aging towards it's expiration date.

It's like this every time we get anything from this guy...I don't know why they use him. The last time we hired 2 new guys at the same time, he sent pants cut for one guy's inseam and the other guy's waist. And they are far from the same size in either dimension.

posted Hide Post
642 in left front pocket. Duty belt organized in a way that I can get to it. It would not be fast and would be challenging to impossible seated. All BUG carry positions have compromises.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
When I first started I carried a Glock 27 behind the trauma plate in my Second Chance vest.

Then a local cop was killed when a round hit the gun he was carrying in that method and ricocheted up into his neck.

I switched to carrying a J-frame in my front right pants pocket behind my primary duty handgun and never looked back. I've been carrying one there for 15 years.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sport a Safariland Oregon City external vest carrier at work. I use the factory provided pocket on the inside left side of the vest. Unzip and grab it.

It is actually pretty secure and I believe no less secure than the ones that Velcro to your under the shirt vests.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also offside pocket carried until the new Safariland ALS duty holsters came along and as the OP also encountered killed access to anything Including my wallet on that side which was then switched to offside front pocket.

The alternative that worked for me once I ran out of pockets was AIWB support side which was perfectly concealed yet readily accessible.

Posts: 472 | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
We have a molle outer vest carrier. I am going to go with a general purpose molle pouch on my weak side (about 10:00 position) to hold a Glock 26. I may also add in a trigger guard holster with lanyard like the above photo. I will probably sew a snap in to hold the lanyard cord so I can draw pistol and pull trigger holster off at the same time. I have some experimenting to do.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the molle pouch on the vest carrier idea. I'll probably buy or make a kydex trigger guard cover and tie it off inside the pouch or pocket so it will get retained and just pop off the gun on the draw. Our carriers finally came in, and had to get sent back because they were all the wrong type. We're going on 9 months now since we placed the order...almost 5 since we got the vests themselves Roll Eyes. My panels are going to be expired before we ever get a chance to use them.