SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Carry at home?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry at home? Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
If I am dressed, I am carrying. Does not change if I am out, or at home.

Call me paranoid if you will, but if I am home and lounging in my pajama's I will have my LCP, or J frame S&W in a pocket of my pajama's or robe till I retire for the evening, at which point my bedside pistol vault is unlocked with my full size home defense pistol at the ready.

How many here also carry at home?

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Only if I just got home and plan on going out again. If I'm relaxing I don't carry. I have enough guns around the place where I can grab one. Early warning system (German Shepard) is always on alert and there is only one way up into my condo and the baby gate slows everyone down.

If you kick in my door I will have time to grab any of my guns before you make it up the stairs. If you get past me my two kids further up will have you in a crossfire. They have their own guns and safes.

Yes. My kids are 10 and 14. They're properly trained. I don't allow their friends over. I trust my kids. Before they had guns my katanas have been accessible above the fireplace for years. Guns are not a novelty for them. I'm not paranoid. I live in one of the safer/better suburbs.

We've trained for break ins.

Local PD has my address in their computers so I'm not worried about being swatted and the FD knows to try and save my ammo.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't. I do have a loaded pistol in a safe on each floor, though.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me neither. SP2022 with TLR downstairs handy. 870 upstairs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Everyone has a different level of paranoia and rightfully so in this age of occupied home invasions by multiple assailants. As long as you've prepared to act within seconds and planned ahead accordingly, there is no right or wrong answer.

It is best to prepare your home security in layers, IE an alert dog, window coverings, exterior lighting, door locks, security system, phone(s), safe room, safe words, etc.

I've carried everyday since 1970 from the time I get dressed to the time I hit the pillow. It's second nature.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I don't carry in the shower. But maybe I should get a Glock. They are plastic so they won't rust.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Local PD has my address in their computers so I'm not worried about being swatted and the FD knows to try and save my ammo.

Very interesting. Is this a special program run by the PD & FD, or are you just personal friends?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Not me unless I had been carrying and am going to go out fairly soon again. I live in an extremely low crime rate area.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't be fooled. I have a general idea of where you live and I assure you the beast is up there as well.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Not me unless I had been carrying and am going to go out fairly soon again. I live in an extremely low crime rate area.

I thought I lived in a low crime area, til my neighbor knocked on my door one morning @ 5:16 am, after having gotten loose from the duct tape from the previous night's home invasion.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Don't be fooled. I have a general idea of where you live and I assure you the beast is up there as well.

Bad people have transportation, and can travel to "good neighborhoods".

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never been a fan of "lounge clothes" for lack of a better term. I'm either wearing my business casual clothes for work or jeans. Either way, my gun and spare mag go on as soon as the pants are on and don't come off until I'm ready for bed. I honestly don't notice the gun in the least, so I don't consider it an inconvenience. Inconvenience would be having to go get the gun and holster from the safe and put on whenever I decided to go out or had to answer the door.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
How does one know where a crime of violence will occur? We never thought a military base, police station, grade school, church, movie theater or shopping mall would be a place of mass murder.

There's nothing in "bad neighborhoods" that bad guys want. They want the stuff in "good neighborhoods" and more than likely where residents have become complacent about personal safety.

Look where the Manson Family targeted their invasion. It wasn't in a crappy area of East Los Angeles.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

General idea covers a LOT of area and not according to the statistics for crime in this particular area and from experience living here for decades or at least to a much much less extent. I guess we get something for our huge property tax bill.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:

Bad people have transportation, and can travel to "good neighborhoods".

Sure they can but the crime statistics for the area where I live show that to be extremely low incidence for the type of crime where I would need to carry a gun on me at home 100 percent of the time.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

Very interesting. Is this a special program run by the PD & FD, or are you just personal friends?

Dated and still friends with a few of their dispatchers. They entered it into their CAD system. In our CAD we have alerts set up for seniors who give us a key in case of emergency so we know we don't have to break their doors down.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:Sure they can but the crime statistics for the area where I live show that to be extremely low incidence for the type of crime where I would need to carry a gun on me at home 100 percent of the time.

That's my situation as well. There might be a murder every couple of years in the entire county. A huge number of home invasions also seem to be among drug dealers or gang members rather than random selection. Could I end up as a statistical anomaly? Sure. I could also end up dead from an elderly driver going the wrong way on an Interstate. That doesn't mean I wear a helmet and Nomex "just in case".

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
Wife and I, both, always have SIG within easy reach, at all times. Plus, Blue Healer and American Dingo, bite ready. Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do. So does my wife.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I keep one close, but not on me. The unique security situation on my property and in my house does not require full time carry, I have no kids here, so there are guns on tables, in drawers, in bags, and standing in the corner.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post