SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    EDC tourniquet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDC tourniquet Login/Join 
posted
Early this year, I decided it would be prudent to carry a tourniquet on my person. I figured horizontally on the belt would be the best way to do it; either small-of-the-back or just left of center, on the back. I did some looking, and landed on this one; it seemed to do the job of holding and protecting, while keeping the bulk down. As best I can tell, it's made by an LEO who's a member of a tactical team.

https://www.soileater.com/product-page/bmth-v3

It didn't take long to figure out that small of the back wasn't great; nor was horizontal. I have been carrying it on my left hip, windlass toward my body, with the hood portion oriented down. This is the configuration I ended up with, after some trial and error with various other orientations. My shirt covers it completely, and hardly gets snagged on it. It's proven to be a good piece of kit; I figured others looking to carry a TQ may appreciate the feedback.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Probably better just carry one in a Go Bag or similar.

Posts: 23104 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always 2-TK4's in my cargo pant pockets. Its a TQ, a pressure bandage, a chest seal (with the plastic wrap) and can be used on kids. Most windlass tq's can't accommodate children. Windlass tq's are in the IFAK's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pace40,

Posts: 708 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want absolute barebones you can go with a RAT TQ or something similar. I have one but typically I prefer a crank or ratchet style. The Cat7 is pretty compact depending on how you dress but it wont work on dogs or kid arms.

I also recommend learning the ingredients for a field expedient one. Its really just a strap and a stick, preferably with something to hold it that you don't have to make yourself, though you certainly can. I've done it with a bandana and a stout pen.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:

I also recommend learning the ingredients for a field expedient one. Its really just a strap and a stick, preferably with something to hold it that you don't have to make yourself, though you certainly can. I've done it with a bandana and a stout pen.

What does almost every man on the planet have on him? A belt. That is what I was always trained to go for first if you needed to make one.

Posts: 34268 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try an Ankle rig. I've got one from Ryker Nylon that holds the TQ, Chest Seals, Dressings, etc. With boot cut jeans, you can't spot it.

Posts: 4685 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
If you want absolute barebones you can go with a RAT TQ or something similar. I have one but typically I prefer a crank or ratchet style. The Cat7 is pretty compact depending on how you dress but it wont work on dogs or kid arms.

You've actually stopped blood flow using a banana as windlass? That's impressive.

Posts: 4685 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
EDC tourniquet kit!?

What about an EDC appendicitis kit!?

You never know when you gotta flop some bastard on a table, get to work with a grapefruit spoon, and save the day!

I like the ankle kit idea for this!
/jacknickolsonnod

Posts: 5200 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I mostly wear carpenter or cargo work pants. I have a Snakestaff EDC-wide in the pliers/cargo pocket. The EDC-w leaves enough room for a king size Sharpie in the plier pocket.

Posts: 10017 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once performed a caesarean section on a lady in an elevator with just my teeth. The baby is alive and doing great, but the mom has a nasty looking scar on her stomach.

I don't think I'd ever carry a tourniquet on me, but I could see where it would be good to have in a vehicle first aid kit.

Posts: 939 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Do you leave your pistol in your vehicle as well?

Posts: 10017 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
There are typically three wounds possible, and three different treatments.

Extremities: C-A-T
Junctional: Quik Clot Gauze
Thorax: Chest seal

This requires a IFAK, a small bag, if you want to carry all three.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5170 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Do you leave your pistol in your vehicle as well?

When I need to.

A full blown first aid kit can be handy as well, but do you carry one in backpack with you everywhere you go? After all, we're not just shot in the arms and legs. You could have chest wounds as well!

Posts: 939 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m mostly concerned with a limb injury at work, but I should put an ETD, gauze, and chest seal in my jacket.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few decent options if one just wants to carry one thing.

Probably the best is the battle wrap by Combat Medical. If can function as a chest seal, it and a T-shirt can function as a wound packing and pressure dressing, and if you wrap it tight enough it can function as a tourniquet (though they won’t advertise it as that).

Similarly, the SWAT-T can do all that.

If I can’t carry a real tourniquet, I carry a SWAT-T if I want something.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11461 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad this thread has seen recurring contributions. Since the weather has changed, and my clothing with it, I have run into problems; primarily due to my long pants using jean-style pockets, and my summer clothes using slant-cut pockets. Just the other day, I resigned my torniquet to the side of my work bag. I have been considering both the RATS and the SWAT-T, with the SWAT-T seeming more favorable, due to the familiarity factor, I suppose.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it is of course prudent to have access to a tourniquet bear in mind in the vast majority of wounds bleeding can be controlled with direct pressure. There are relatively few instances in which the TQ is called for ( my background is over 30+ years in medicine including 15+ in ER and tours in Iraq and Afghanistan ,and saw very few cases in all that time where the TQ was needed due to other bleeding control methods failing.)
Big however, if you really have severe arterial bleeding from an extremity, it is the one thing most likely to shut it down.
Much like carrying a gun the chances of needing it are very small, but if you do nothing is a substitute

Posts: 3336 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Most of these items are carried in my car as it’s often near me and the most likely place I would need them.

Posts: 9711 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the vast majority of wounds bleeding can be controlled with direct pressure
Yours isn't the only comment like this. I am rethinking the medical EDC approach, largely due to this thread. My introduction to gunshot care put a heavy emphasis on the tourniquet; as if it was the most valuable life-saving tool one could have on their person. I agree with others though, that a pressure dressing and seals are just as important. I, like others, have a full-blown "IFAK" in the car, but perhaps a pressure dressing is better to have on your person, than a tourniquet.

posted Hide Post
I would respectfully argue that a tourniquet is the lightest and most useful piece of the IFAK to have on you, and that you should consider SOF Tactical Tourniquet-Wide with the PHLSter Flatpack Tourniquet Carrier.

My reason for recommending a tourniquet is that you can stop extremity bleeding and /then/ do wound packing with a hemostatic and put a pressure bandage over the wound; I am of the opinion that a pressure bandage alone, without packing the wound first with a hemostatic agent, is not as effective in stopping massive blood loss.

Despite the tongue-in-cheek reference above, I would also note the North American Rescue Ankle Trauma Kit is a very handy way of carrying additional medical items as well: TQ goes in flatpack, that frees up the TQ spot on the ankle rig for an Israeli Bandage or other pressure dressing, and you have spots for a hemostatic agent and chest seals.

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2135 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post