SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Please advise on IWB holster for S&W Shield (original)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please advise on IWB holster for S&W Shield (original) Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I just got my e-mail that my San Diego County CCW application was approved.
Since the Sig 365 is not on the verschlugene DOJ roster, I bought an S&W Shield, and an Apex trigger to put in it.
I have never carried concealed, so any advice would be much appreciated. I mostly wear Hawaiian shirts not tucked in most of the year. Never wear shorts in public; probably will give up wearing T-shirts in favor of the Hawaiian shirts and similar.
Thanks

Posts: 18231 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Original shield and not shield plus? If so hit me up as I have a couple of mags (free) I can send your way to help you get started. And check out rmholsters low rider, I have several for various guns.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Nice purchase, Dr. T!

You've got email. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13672 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sweeet deal, vthoky!
Great karma!!

94hoky I can use the mags for sure!
Sending mailing address to your profile email.

Go Hokies!

Posts: 18231 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/Q-IWB3-Holster.html

I use this one for all my carry guns, if I don’t use a Milt Sparks Summer Special II in leather.

JMKydex IWB #3, 15 degree cant, full sweat shield, cut for red dot optic and I like the DDC monoblock metal clips. The clips can scratch stuff and wear holes in shorts depending on your physique and chairs etc. The loops work well too and I cross them to make them more snug on the belt. That also helps flatten them a touch.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8353 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
We Hokies have got you covered, Dr. T! Smile

Shipment is on its way.

God bless America.

Posts: 13672 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my interview next month here in San Diego. I applied last August. Yesterday I also bought a S&W Shield 9mm and got a nice discount for being a Vet. Is there a trigger problem that prompted you to buy another trigger?
I bought Nexbelt 1.5" Supreme Appendix and Tenicor IWB/AIWB holster also. I am CCW newbie and relied on reviews and Sig Forum advice. I wanted Sig 365 but no go in CA,

Posts: 75 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sjtil - I never received an email (or it got lost). Shoot me another and I'll start hunting down my mags for that.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I have a G-Code Eclipse: https://www.tacticalholsters.c...oduct/gcode-eclipse/

I suggest using the standard mojo clip mounting base rather than the super mojo. The standard mojo is lower profile. The fuzzy exterior of the holster sets it apart from other plastic holsters. It feels like suede and grips your pants a little better than smooth plastic.

Posts: 3240 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My go-to for IWB carry is the TT Gunleather "Mike's Special" reinforced holster. It's the nearest thing to the venerable Milt Sparks VM-2 but without the long wait. I have one for my Shield for warm weather and another for my DW .45 Commander for when heavier clothing is justified.

I've found IWB holsters that use plastic clips instead of leather belt loops uncomfortable, at least for me. The plastic pieces that the clips attach to, poke me in the hip or the ass, especially when I'm sitting.

As far as wardrobe goes, I've found that 99% of people are totally oblivious when CCW folks are around. I usually just wear a solid color t-shirt over it, loud colors aren't necessary. The heavier weight 'long-tail' shirts from Duluth Trading are my favorite for CCW.

Posts: 7339 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
I carry my S&W Shield 9mm 2.0 in a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster. Very comfortable.

https://www.comp-tac.com/mtac-holster

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 511 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
94hokie---don't know what happened to my e-mail.
I actually have 4 mags for my Shield. I suspect our brother k4carbon perhaps could use extra mags more than I. Thank you for your generosity.

K4carbon: By reading about the original Shield's factory trigger and a review of the Apex replacement, I decided to get the Apex. In my CCW class another student had put in the Apex trigger and really liked it a lot.

I have a history with Apex going back maybe 15 years or so, when Randy Lee was just starting out with a one-man shop. He developed new actions for the S&W revolvers that made them feel like a cap gun in double action and yet always went bang.
So he has quite a stellar reputation--and now he has made 40 employees, has moved to Glendale AZ and is selling stuff left and right. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Oh, and I passed my qualifying test today, with the Shield, a 2022, and my dear old W German P226 with GGI innards. Not that I'm likely to carry the latter two on my body, but likely in a pack at times.

And as I posted in another thread, I've put down a deposit on the Sig 320 M-18 that has just made the CA handgun roster. It's a compact, but a trade of grip frame makes the grip at least a sub-compact.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I received my CCW permit in the mail today. Only a year and a month after submitting application.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I wish I saw this earlier.

I CCW the Shield (original) like you and after having done so for more than a year, I have some practice tips that I've learned along the way.

1. The Apex trigger kit is A1.

2. I added the low profile LCI. The big pink thing was a distraction. It's another Apex product that works flawlessly.

3. Added Trijicon HD in yellow but orange is popular. This is a gunsmith install unless you're skilled at it because when you remove the rear sight, there is plunger and spring that are held in by the sight that are part of the Apex kit. It's not a huge issue but unless you already own a sight pusher, it's a gunsmith thing. The typical time to change the sights is when the trigger kit was installed but not a problem if you haven't.

4. Holster - I have a Summer Special II (Sparks always has these in stock) and I replaced the leather loops with the Discrete Carry Concepts Monoblock. Very flat and when I wear it, it's invisible under a Tommy Bahama type of shirt. I wear it forward of the hip in a near-appendix location.

5. Mags - Bob&Joe Outfitters has the absolute best price on factory 7 & 8 round mags. I just ordered a few last week. 7 rounds was $19.99 and 8 rounds was $24.99. Free ship at $90.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flashlightboy,

Posts: 4184 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post