SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best Kindle for Wife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Kindle for Wife Login/Join 
posted
My wife has the original Kindle and has been using it regularly for years. She also has an I-Pad . Birthday next week and was thinking of a new Kindle for her but she seems to think this one fits her needs. Any opinions on whether I should upgrade?
If so, which model and why ? Thanks.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Tech outdates and breaks itself on its own schedule. If she is content, and new versions / advancements etc are unknown as when they may come, then why not look in another, perhaps unexpected direction?

Perfume, Sunglasses, or something else that she uses every day and can remind her of her birthday?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I generally read a book a week on my Kindle Paperwhite. I bought a Omoton cover and couldn't be happier.

That's the what part. The why is because for a little over $100 you get a reader that goes from direct sun to the darkest room without having to screw with it.

Look for a bargain on Amazon Prime Day next Tuesday.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I used a Kindle 3 for years and now have a Voyage. MUCH better than the Kindle 3. I debated the Paperwhite and Voyage and decided on the Voyage a year or so ago. I seem to remember the real glass surface was the difference in my decision but may have been other things considered. I figured that real glass would stand up to scratches better. I've never touched a Paperwhite but many more have chosen them than a Voyage or Oasis, so they must be pretty good.

The only thing I missed for a while and still do somewhat, are buttons for page turns. The Voyage has pressure sensors and there's no tactile feel on the glass surface for the sensors. There is vibrating feedback when the sensors are pressed (I turned it off in options). The other way to turn a page is to just gently swipe a finger across the screen like any touch screen.

The Oasis has buttons for page turns like earlier versions of Kindle but the Oasis is a whole 'nother beast and folks have a love hate relationship with it. And it's super high priced in comparison to other Kindles. I saw one review that compared a Voyage and an Oasis and the guy hated the Oasis on most all counts when comparing but the funny thing was, he said he found himself reaching most often for the Oasis over the Voyage like it's growing on him or something LOL.

So basically you really have two choices as far as I'm concerned. Paperwhite or Voyage. I don't regret choosing the Voyage but would likely be a fan of the Paperwhite as well. I think she'd be pleased with either. The why is because the screen has a much brighter, cleaner, clearer and sharper image than earlier Kindles and it absolutely makes a strong noticeable difference.

One other consideration is that if she is used to using a cover, her current Kindle covers wouldn't work with either the newer Paperwhite or Voyage. So she'd have to have a new cover. The Voyage has a magnetic feature where a cover with magnet will automatically put the Kindle in sleep mode when closed. No button need be pushed or toggled to turn it on and off. When finished reading, just close the cover like a book. Ready to read again, just open the cover like a book and the screen lights up where you left off.

On the other hand, if she thinks the one she has fits her needs, who am I to recommend an upgrade.

Posts: 4706 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Along with whichever kindle you get for her, also sign her up for a library account. And if you / she keeps it on airplane mode, they (kindle books you borrow) never expire.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post