SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Shazam - my review without spoilers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shazam - my review without spoilers Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
So tonight my wife and I watched Shazam with our nine year old on Amazon.

I felt the movie was entertaining and fun; my wife and I both agree it was better than either of us expected.

My nine year old was really into the movie.

Enough thought went into the dialog that it wasn't super predictable or boring.

Movie had many spots where I laughed out loud as well as many intense spots where I was on the edge of my seat.

No gore, some violence, but not overdone, and the profanity was kept down to a dull roar.

Over all a good family movie.

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I saw it in the theater and didn't hate it outright but didn't enjoy it, either. Too much time spent on the corny, "what would a kid do with superpowers" shtick.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We watched it last night on dvd and am glad we didn't have to pay for this at the movies. It was alright but was definitely a kid movie.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Can I take a guess that you are both fans of "real" superhero movies?

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Shazam is a real superhero. In fact, he's one of DCs most powerful characters. Unfortunately, the movie is so heavily geared toward child audiences that it was hard for me to enjoy the movie. It's just one long "what if" for kids.

Also, the muscle suit that Zachary Levi wore was annoying.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It was okay but I prefer the original Captain Marvel story with Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr. instead of the huge new family.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Shazam is a real superhero.

Real as in 'serious".

The fact that you don't like that a superhero movie was geared towards children is hysterical. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, the muscle suit that Zachary Levi wore was annoying.

I'm not a huge comics buff, but from what I have seen, in the comics, Shazam always seems to be one of the most ludicrously overmuscled characters there is. I would guess it is a deliberate contrast with the fact that he's really a skinny little kid.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The fact that you don't like that a superhero movie was geared towards children is hysterical. Big Grin

There are plenty of movies that children enjoy that are also enjoyable by adults. This was not one of them for me.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Shazam is a real superhero.

Real as in 'serious".

Well, if Aquaman, Man of Steel, and Batman V Superman are considered 'serious' superhero movies, you can keep them. The only such 'serious' DC live action movie that was any good was Wonder Woman.

I watched Shazam last night, and I loved it. It was light, funny, and I didn't need anti-depressant meds after it was over. I really enjoyed it. I was literally laughing out loud for much of the movie.

I hope DC learns from this and makes more like it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I had no idea of what Shazam was about since I don't have any kids.

It was a little juvenile for me...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'll second that. I watched it yesterday. It was like DC's Ant-Man...more light-hearted and fun. And I was fine with that.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Part of why I was game to watch Shazam is that I used to watch the Shazam/Isis hour when it was on between 1974-1976.

While I don't remember much of the series as I was a six year old in 1976 I remember it made me laugh a lot.

I could tell by the trailer that this was geared more toward children, but I have a nine year old I can use as an excuse to view kids movies.... I used to have to borrow the neighbors grandkids to go watch kids movies Smile

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
We watched it as a family Sunday also. I think it was the best DC movie to date and the third act wasn’t a CGI money shot mess like every other DC film.

Now bring on The Rock as Black Adam.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post