Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2022 Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I like the changes to the Austrian circuit. It’s more of a race track now than a drag strip. Even with the changes in turn 2 (2A/2b) it remains the most dangerous circuit on the calendar. When you’ve seen many riders die on track over the last 25 years, you certainly don’t want to see more of it. Lifeless riders laying on a circuit waiting for the ambulance, and ultimately the helo to transport them away.

You could tell even with the changes, that the tires and more importantly, the brakes, are over the limit. Enea’s mechanical almost had him hitting the air fence head on.

Pecco is climbing back into this race by race. He’s won three on the trot and extinguished his off track drama. He will have to continue to ride inch perfect every single round to even have a shot at it. This is a track that is the worst on the calendar for Yamaha and somehow Fabio rides the wheels off the M1 at this circuit to get on the podium. That doesn’t look good for Pecco or Aleix to climb back into this but it is feasible.

Steady Miller again today. And I was rooting for the Beast to take the podium to something more.

Sprint races in MotoGP. The Valentino Rossi effect. Attendances are down this year. So this is a millennial/gen z change to the sport that didn’t need to happen. It just puts the riders at more risking racing an additional race on Saturday. Stupid.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12563 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/mot...rilia-2023/10355779/

quote:
​​​​​​​
Raul Fernandez is close to finalising a move to the RNF Aprilia MotoGP squad in 2023 after an agreement was reached with KTM to release him from his current contract.
The 2021 Moto2 championship runner-up stepped up to MotoGP in 2022 with Tech 3 and KTM in a move he didn’t want to make in the first place.

Fernandez had been keen to join Yamaha’s satellite squad RNF – formally Petronas SRT – but was unable to when KTM held him to a contract despite there being a half-a-million-euro buyout clause.

In a difficult debut season on the RC16, Fernandez has scored just five points with a best finish of 12th at the German Grand Prix.

Motorsport.com understands Fernandez met on Sunday morning at the Austrian GP with KTM CEO Stefan Pierer to discuss his current contract.

Several months ago Pierer extended Fernandez’s contract for another year through to the end of 2023, with KTM demanding more than a million euros for the Spaniard to extricate himself from that deal as he so desired.

This looked almost impossible to get around, but both parties have now come to a more amicable agreement that will ensure Fernandez’s exit from KTM at the end of 2022.

This will allow Fernandez to fully pursue a move to RNF Aprilia for 2023, with a deal likely to extend to the end of 2024.

Fernandez did have serious offers to return to Moto2 from Marc VDS and Pons Racing for next year, as well as considerations in the World Superbike Championship.

At present, it is unclear who will partner Fernandez at RNF, with the previous favourite option in Miguel Oliveira now looking uncertain.

Oliveira will lose his place at the factory KTM squad at the end of the year and will be replaced by Jack Miller.

The Portuguese rider has been offered a move to Tech 3, but initially did not want to return to the squad with whom he won two grand prix in 2020.

However, the Tech 3 project has been refreshed for 2023 as a sister KTM brand in GasGas will in effect become a new manufacturer – albeit only by name, as Tech 3 will run factory-spec KTMs.

With this taking place, KTM has not ruled out Oliveira remaining within its stable at Tech 3 alongside Pol Espargaro – whose appointment was announced on Friday at the Red Bull Ring.

What is certain is that reigning Moto2 world champion Remy Gardner will not be a part of KTM's set-up in 2023.

The Australian has endured a similarly difficult campaign to Fernandez and admitted on Sunday at the Red Bull Ring that it’s unlikely he will be on the 2023 grid at all – taking a dig at his current paymasters in the process.

“No, it’s not,” he said when told his future was not looking good. “In MotoGP, doesn’t look like there’s anything. KTM’s done it again. That’s all I can say.”

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Raul Fernandez will be interesting to watch on the Ape next year. I think he's just trying to stick it to KTM as much as he can right now. Hopefully he can make a good go of it on a bike that should be pretty competitive.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I am with you Prefontaine, Sprint races are a stupid circus move.

Posts: 5016 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I don't care for them in F1 either.

Austria was a good race. Seems like a lot of riders struggling with tires the last couple races? Seems like more riders crashing out that 'normal'?
Did Enea end up with just a bent wheel? Or was there a more significant issue with the bike?

Also saw that Rins to miss the San Marino GP after his Austria crash.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Beast bent his wheel going slightly off line onto the curb. At that point the tire wouldn’t hold PSI and he had to retire.

Posts: 12563 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I heard them mention a wheel issue, but never got a confirmation in the broadcast if that was the full reason for the retire.

FQ driving the wheels off the Yamaha.
Hope Miller can take this drive to KTM next year.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motogp.com/en/news...ther-training/432738

quote:

Marc Marquez has completed another successful medical check at the Ruber Internacional Hospital in Madrid. His trusted medical team, consisting of Dr Joaquin Sanchez Sotelo, Dr Samuel Antuña and Dr Angel Cotorro were all pleased with the healing and recovery of the right humerus.

The medical team have given Marquez approval to intensify his training, adding more weight and introducing more varied exercises into his routine. Alongside this, it has also been agreed for the eight-time World Champion to start training on motorcycles to understand the condition of his right arm with further context.

From the findings of this outing, Marquez and the Repsol Honda Team will assess the following steps needed.

Dr Joaquin Sanchez Sotelo: "Today, I had the opportunity to evaluate Marc Marquez in regard to his surgical procedure recently performed at Mayo Clinic. Fortunately, Marc Marquez has regained a great arc of motion and has recovered well from a muscular perspective as well. Today, he underwent radiographs and a CT scan that show complete bone union."

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Dude is probably sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
He’s not gonna be happy until he gets himself or someone else grievously hurt

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I’d like to make a proposal for Dorna/Moto GP. Instead of sprint races (dumb), make teams and riders use the same compound tires that they did during their qualifying run. It would cut down on the bullshit and keep the racers on their toes with regard to race distance, pace, and all but neuter the aero crap from the teams….I’m looking at you Ducati.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
That Sprint race thing is such bullshit and it belongs in WSBK, not MotoGP. There are already too many races on the calendar per year. Someone will fuck up in the sprint race, crash, take someone else out and then they can’t make the race the following day.

And the real reason behind this shit is the millennial and their pathetically small attention span. This sport is proper, or was. The little stupid qualifying session Q1 and Q2 thing is stupid. Used to they’d test FP1/2/3. Each a full hour. Then the final session was qualifying but they’d spend the first half finalizing setup. It was good because some riders would immediately set a time when the QP began for qualifying. Then go back to dialing in the bike and setting a fast time at the end if needed. Less chaos, less of this small session bullshit means less wrecks. Less chaos in the pits is safer.

The rain sessions it’s the same thing. Pit swaps in MotoGP? It’s still as silly as it was day 1 of implementation. Prior if the race was a dry start, riders on slicks. If it rains they throw the flag and restart the race. Or the lead riders throw up the hands and say fuck this, enough, giving the riders the power to more or less stop the race. It’s their asses on the line. Now, due to European TV schedules and not wanting to run long into some soccer match or whatever the fuck, it’s pit swaps. We’ve seen the chaos that causes. The crashes, the injuries.

Dorna and Carmelo have done a great job at equalizing the sport via the rules. Prior a couple of factories, and primarily one factory, Honda, could just outspend the others. I mean HRcz dominated the sport by outspending for decades. But now they are overdoing it. Too many races, too many bullshit changes. They are risking losing the people who’ve watched for decades for new millennial blood. I talk to a few people in the paddock a few times a year to this day and this might be the straw that breaks the rider’s back.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind more races. Saturdays will be more fun with points on the line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21056 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For those of us that rely on cable (YouTubeTV) for coverage, I'll have to rely on highlights via YouTube/GP App for the sprints.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bagnaia/Bastianini - Ducati/Lenovo 2023 Confirmation

quote:

Ducati Lenovo Team have confirmed that it will be Enea Bastianini (Gresini Racing MotoGP™) lining up alongside Francesco Bagnaia in the factory team next season, meaning Jorge Martin will stay in the Prima Pramac Racing ranks in 2023.

Ducati’s decision has been a huge talking point in the paddock ever since Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) was confirmed to be moving to Red Bull KTM Factory Racing for 2023, and the Bologna factory have spent the last few races thinking about whether it will be Bastianini or Martin wearing red next season.

However, a few days on from the Austrian GP and ahead of the San Marino GP, Ducati have announced it will be three-time 2022 race winner Bastianini who gets the seat alongside title-chasing Bagnaia for next season in an all-Italian line-up, not 2021 Rookie of the Year Martin.

Enea Bastianini: “I am thrilled to be able to wear the colours of the official Ducati team starting next year. It was my dream, and now it has come true. In these two years in MotoGP, I have learned and grown a lot, and I believe that I can only improve with the engineers and men of the Ducati Lenovo Team! I want to thank Claudio, Gigi, Paolo and Davide for trusting me and giving me this incredible opportunity. Still, I also want to thank Nadia and the whole Gresini team for the great support I have received from them during this wonderful season together. I will try to close out this 2022 in the best possible way before tackling my new adventure as a factory Ducati rider with total commitment and the right team spirit.”

Luigi Dall’Igna (Director General de Ducati Corse): “We are really happy to have Bastianini in the factory team in 2023. Enea is a very talented rider and he has matured a lot in these two years with Ducati. He has been able to grow quickly, taking two podiums in his debut year in MotoGP and then three beautiful victories this year with the Gresini team in Qatar, the United States and France. We are convinced that next year, as a factory rider for the Ducati Lenovo Team, he will be able to make another step forward and be among the protagonists in every race. It was not an easy decision because both Enea and Jorge Martin are two very fast young riders and that's why we have ensured both of them the same material and the same technical support. We are sure that both of them will be able to show their great talent on track.”

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Never any doubt that it was gonna be Enea. It would have been a bonehead move for Ducati to not have 2 Italian riders (& both VR46 grads).

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Watanabe in for Mir at Misano

quote:
​​​​​​​
The 2020 MotoGP world champion Mir fracture his right foot in a nasty highside crash on the opening lap of last week’s Austrian GP.

The Suzuki rider was ordered to take 15 days of rest by doctors following a check-up on the Monday after the Red Bull Ring race, and has thus been forced out of the Misano round next week.

Suzuki’s options to replace Mir were limited, with usual stand-in and official test rider Sylvain Guintoli currently out of action after injuring his wrist prior to the Suzuka 8 Hours.

Reports in Italian media claimed double MotoGP race winner Danilo Petrucci was offered the ride, but turned it down to focus on his MotoAmerica championship bid with Ducati.

Suzuki has therefore been forced to give one-time 250cc points finisher Watanbe an outing at Misano.

Watanabe, who partners Guintoli at the Yoshimura SERT Suzuki endurance team, has never ridden MotoGP machinery and only started five grands prix in the 250cc/Moto2 class in 2009 and 2010 – scoring a best finish of 14th at the 2009 Japanese GP.

“First thing’s first, I would like to wish Joan a speedy recovery from the injury he suffered, he’s a great rider to watch and I hope he’ll be back on track soon,” Watanabe said.

“I was really pleased to receive the call about substituting in Misano, it will be amazing to try the MotoGP bike around that track.

“I will do my best to perform well and give something back to the team who have given me this chance.”

Suzuki team boss Livio Suppo added: “We are very sorry that Joan won't be able to race in Misano and we wish him a fast recovery!

“Meanwhile we’re pleased to welcome Kazuki Watanabe to our team, he has a lot of experience with Suzuki and he is putting together a strong season in the All Japan series, he also got third at Suzuka 8 hours just a few weeks ago.

‘The GSX-RR will be a very different challenge, but we will do our best for Watanabe-san in order for him to get the maximum out of this experience!”

Suzuki will withdraw from MotoGP at the end of the 2022 season in a shock announcement made following the Spanish GP back in May.

The Japanese manufacturer cited financial reasons for electing to end its MotoGP project just one year into a new five-year contract with series owner Dorna Sports.

It will also end its factory involvement with the Yoshimura SERT squad in the FIM Endurance World Championship.

Current rider Alex Rins will join LCR Honda in 2023, while Mir is set to join the factory Honda squad alongside Marc Marquez.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Meh, Suzuki could go ahead and close up shop and nobody would know the difference. Other than spending what money they've already committed, they gain nothing by this move.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Happy for the Beast. Jorge had it but fucked up this year and fucked up more than Beast has. Beast has just simply won more races and on older spec machinery than what Jorge has had access to these past two seasons.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Enea Bastianini will do well on a factory bike but I can’t help but wonder why Ducati cut Miller loose. They seem to always tire of their factory riders in search of greener pastures when they might benefit more from being patient and loyal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21056 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post