SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A rarely seen film : The Grey Fox - 1982
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A rarely seen film : The Grey Fox - 1982 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I'm not sure what sort of rights issue this film had, but it's as rare as hen's teeth, having not been broadcast on American TV since the 20th Century. It appears the film has now made it to DVD and Blu-ray.

This is a Canadian-produced film I hesitate to call a Western, since most of the film takes place in Canada, but that's merely a technicality, I suppose. The film tells the story of outlaw Bill Miner after his release from San Quentin prison in 1901. Bill Miner was a real person and his outlaw career spanned over decades.

I have couple of favorite scenes in this film- Miner watching with great interest Edwin S. Porter's landmark film The Great Train Robbery, which was in general distribution beginning in December, 1903, and Miner buying a pistol, first being shown by the clerk a pipsqueak .32 revolver, probably an H&R, but opting instead for a Colt Bisley with a 5.5" barrel.

Because of the film's scarcity, many of you have never seen it, and those who have, haven't seen it in years. You'll enjoy Farnsworth's performance.

Direct link for full-screen viewing

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 107482 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farnsworth has been in lots of movies and TV is often uncredited. Since we recently talked about The Outlaw Josey Wales, you can see him him as one of the Comancheros.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Para. I really liked that movie.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6394 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing this on my parent's first VCR when I was quite young. I remember some of the scenery with a train being breathtaking.

Thanks for sharing this with us Para. I’ll watch it this weekend.

Posts: 616 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Been too long. Thanks

Posts: 13230 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Para. Somewhere I got the idea this was a good western, ordered a DVD “Der graue Fuchs”—not US region and enjoyed it; it’s a little quirky.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Shades of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...and maybe just a touch of the Wild Bunch too...thoroughly enjoyed this movie!

Whenever I watch a movie that I enjoy, but it goes by too quickly, I find myself asking the question, just how much better the movie would have been if the Producer and Director had a larger budget to work with...and just how much more would I have enjoyed the movie if parts of it that ended up on the cutting room floor had been left in?...

...perhaps none at all, and we will never know, but this little unknown-to-me movie had a wonderful soundtrack, had some beautiful shots included, some good acting, a great story, and I didn't want it to end when it did...although as late as I stayed up to watch it it is probably best that it was shorter.

Thanks for sharing this little gem of a movie.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I remember liking this movie back in the 80s when it was on HBO, might have to see it again. Farnsworth was a good one.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s been a long time, but the scene I recall from the movie was a much younger man trying to bully Miner in a barroom. The young guy ends up looking up at Miner who has slid that Bisley that para spoke of out of its holster. He very deliberately pulls back he hammer on that revolver and the pawl drops into place with a satisfying “click.” The gun is pointed at the guy’s forehead (seems like Bill’s hand was turned sideways) and the old gentleman suggests that perhaps he ought to leave him alone.

Posts: 13230 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great movie! Thanks for reminding me of it!

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a good film. I haven't tried to watch it since not long after it came out, but I wouldn't have expected it to be hard to find.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, if you had been searching for it, you wouldn't have found it up until very recently. The German DVD from Schroder Media sjtill mentions is all there was up until this summer, and that DVD was PAL-encoded, not NTSC-encoded, which means you would have to have a DVD player with a built-in transcoder to watch it in the United States, and I don't think such machines are at all common.

Amazon shows one copy of the film for sale in VHS format. While I still have two VCRs, there's no way I'd pay 50 bucks for a 20 year old VHS tape, not even if it had never been removed from its packaging.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
DVD was PAL-encoded, not NTSC-encoded, which means you would have to have a DVD player with a built-in transcoder to watch it in the United States, and I don't think such machines are at all common.
Just today my wife wanted to know why we have two DVD players. I have to explain that one of them was 'hacked' to play any region (and no region) DVD's as well as PAL and some other formats like DivX. Still comes in handy sometimes.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm looking on Amazon right now, I see it for sale on BluRay & regular DVD for $20.00, and it says NTSC.

" Anamorphic, NTSC, Subtitled"

Will this play on my machine?

Sorry, I'm not real up on the technical specs of this sort of thing.

If I can buy and play this on my machine, then I will order it.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, it'll play in your DVD player. NTSC is the encoding system used in the United States.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Yes.
NTSC is the old US TV standard. ATSC is the new one (widescreen). It is an old show, made for the 4:3 ratio of old. It should play on your new TV just with bars on the sides.

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Thanks Para and 83V ^^^

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
"You're not worth killin' but if you come at me again, I'll put a window through your head, so help me."

Excellent movie.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
watched it last night. good flick. thanks

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I remember watching this on HBO in the 80's.

I look forward to watching it again, thank you!

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post