SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Questions about movie restoration and lost films
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about movie restoration and lost films Login/Join 
posted
I enjoy the TCM films immensely, particluarly those from the forties. I know very little about film preservation, and why some of the films need to be restored. I have heard Eddie Muller speak of getting money from the UCLA film project to fund such projects. I do not fully understand what happened to the original prints unless they were not stored properly or just thrown in some closet. Can someone explain the issues involved?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZSMICHAEL,

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
It has to do with the material that the films were made on. The celluloid (made from nitro-cellulose) is combustable as well as deterioration. IIRC the films & original negatives need to be stored in climate controlled areas to prevent decay.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
The funny things is, the original three Star Wars movies were made using "modern" film stock and yet Lucas claims they were 'damaged' when they updated them back in the 90's.

Posts: 1295 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a location in KS where some films are stored. If you get a chance take a tour.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks. Interesting.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
This is a better representation than their website:

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K4vnhe5obe4

So, that's the sum of my knowledge on the topic. Smile

The mines go all over under Kansas. They claimed one could go from Hutchinson to Lyons (about 30 miles) and also to Kansas City (around 200+ mikes) underground if they knew the way. I didn't fact check them.

Any trash created in the mine is left in the mine as the cost to surface it isn't worth it.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very interesting to see thanks.