SIGforum
Star Trek - Strange New Worlds teaser trailer

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8930046194

April 29, 2022, 10:49 PM
Pyker
Star Trek - Strange New Worlds teaser trailer
Shows some homage to the original but apparently has some characters/actors from Discovery (which I've never seen), I might give it a try...

April 29, 2022, 11:26 PM
Dwill104
Also interested. I tried to watch Discovery, but gave up after two or three episodes. Aside from being pretty woke, is seemed very hard to reconcile how this could be a prequel to the Starfleet and Federation of TOS.
April 30, 2022, 07:12 AM
DanH
The same people in charge of Discovery and Picard are the same people in charge of this. Caution is recommended.
April 30, 2022, 07:25 AM
Hound Dog
The guy who plays Capt Pike is REALLY good. And "Number One" (no name given - it's a running gag) is also a great character.

HOWEVER,

It's ANOTHER prequel series, and it has "Spock," "Kirk," and "Uhura" in it (so far that I know of). It might be good, IF they go back to the basics of Trek and have episodic shows (Disco and Picard are essentially 8-9 hr long movies cut into individual episodes with a single plot driving each season).

Also, NuTrek has gone full-in with 'non-binary' actors/characters, many of whom can't act their way out of a wet paper sack. And as somebody said about Disco, "it's a great show if you want to see dudes kissing."

I JUST don't understand why they don't make new shows set in the 'modern' Trek timeline (like Lower Decks and apparently Prodigy, which I've never seen).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
April 30, 2022, 11:47 AM
46and2
The Captain Pike actor is the dude from the Hell on Wheels tv show, I think.
April 30, 2022, 02:48 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The same people in charge of Discovery and Picard are the same people in charge of this. Caution is recommended.

Caution? Hell, hard pass, as I don't want to reward these woke assholes in any way, shape, or form.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
April 30, 2022, 06:48 PM
Dzozer
Interesting video on the 55 year journey of this story. They say they want to get back to the kind of storytelling done in TOS.

'Live long and prosper'
May 01, 2022, 02:18 AM
Dwill104
Uh oh, sounds like it’s going to be woke.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertai...eview-040059235.html

When Pike finds Number One, it’s on a planet that recently became aware of warp drive for the first time, but intends to use it in a far different way. These aliens are like 21st century us, impossibly divided and seemingly hellbent on destroying one another. Pike decides that he’s going to dissuade them by talking about Earth’s own history: how in the 2000s, the U.S. became so fractious it plunged into a “Second Civil War,” the moniker Starfleet historians retroactively applied to… the events we’re living right now. Images of “Stop the Steal” placards, possibly from the January 6 insurrection, pop onscreen.
May 01, 2022, 09:01 AM
RogueJSK
Not surprising. The last two live action Trek shows (Picard and Discovery) went full woke too. And this show's run by the same folks.

Hell, in the latest season of Picard that just dropped about a month ago, the crew travels back in time to 2024 Los Angeles to save the earth from climate change and economic inequality while battling evil ICE Agents who "disappear" immigrants they've arrested. (No, I'm not joking, sadly enough.)

So no thanks. I am (was?) a huge Trek fan, but there are plenty of much better non-Trek shows out there to scratch my sci-fi itch, without the lazy writing and over-the-top liberal pandering. And if the desire for specifically Trek gets too strong, you can just rewatch TNG/DS9/VOY, Wrath of Khan, or First Contact, and think on fond memories of what Trek used to be before it was run into the ground like the saucer section of the Enterprise-D.

May 01, 2022, 10:58 AM
Veeper
Who keeps giving Paramount money for this stuff? Why can’t these writers and producers come up with their own characters to destroy and “reimagine”?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken
May 01, 2022, 02:22 PM
Paten
Let us know how you like it when Kirk turns out to be "pansexual". Because you know that's what they're going to do.

As far as I'm concerned, current day Trek is set in the universe on the other side of the Mirror Universe and has nothing to do with any Star Trek before 2009.
May 01, 2022, 02:55 PM
DanH
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Who keeps giving Paramount money for this stuff? Why can’t these writers and producers come up with their own characters to destroy and “reimagine”?

In ViacomCBS’s eyes, they need content to make Paramount+ a “success” and these fuckups can fart this shit out faster than rabbits.
May 05, 2022, 11:54 AM
Orguss
Just watched the first episode. In what seems to be a reversal of TOS, nearly the entire bridge crew is female, with the exception of Pike and Spock. There was a random dude sitting at a station during the episode but he was replaced by another woman by the end.

Visuals are nearly on par with major releases, but sound design didn't really remind me of the original series.

There's a bunch of woke crap threaded into the show. It's going to be a pain looking at the helmsman, as she looks just like Megan Rapinoe.

I'll continue to watch for now.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
May 05, 2022, 03:02 PM
Dwill104
I’ll give it a few more episodes to see, but right now, it could go either way. I do like the Discoprise as a nice homage to the original, unlike the piece of crap hot-rod version in new movies. Not digging the new navigator much either, but I do like the new security chief (temporary number 1 for this first show). Reminds me very much of Drummer on the Expanse, but without the smokey eye makeup. I guess she’s supposed to be related to Kahn (his daughter?), but she seems the most competent character of the group.

My main concern is the writing, which may end up going stupid like on Picard, where moments and message are more important than common sense or logic. This was a shortened plot, because half of the running time is pretty much character setup, but the story was a mess. For one thing, Pike straight up violates the Prime Directive, far worse that Kirk ever did, and it’s hand waved at the end why no one got in any trouble over it. Plus, a decent sized one-nacelle starship (similar to the USS Kelvin of the movies) is run by only three people, and all three of them beam down and immediately get themselves captured? This doesn’t say much to the decision making of Pike’s Number One (you get the impression that Majel Barrett’s Number One in the TOS pilot wasn’t anywhere near this incompetent). Also, I guess an alien who isn’t supposed to know that the Enterprise exists waking up in sick bay and running around the hallways in a panic seems to be no big deal. Must be a common occurrence since all of the people in the hallways just seem to ignore this strange man running around the ship.

Also not digging the retconned Spock having a love life, like in the new movies. He seemed whipped in this episode. Also thought the Vulcan ears looked even more fake than in TOS.

I’ll give it a couple of more episodes.
May 05, 2022, 03:40 PM
Orguss
I could have sworn Spock had a wife on Vulcan in TOS. Of course, I'm probably wrong, especially since I haven't seen a TOS episode in about 30 years.

And, yeah, that whole scene with the two natives onboard the Enterprise was a complete joke. The doctor says he put them on a mild sedative whereupon they immediately wake up and start bouncing off the walls trying to escape. No need for security personnel on hand!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
May 05, 2022, 04:46 PM
Dwill104
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I could have sworn Spock had a wife on Vulcan in TOS. Of course, I'm probably wrong, especially since I haven't seen a TOS episode in about 30 years.

And, yeah, that whole scene with the two natives onboard the Enterprise was a complete joke. The doctor says he put them on a mild sedative whereupon they immediately wake up and start bouncing off the walls trying to escape. No need for security personnel on hand!

Sort of. In Amok Time, Spock went back to Vulcan to get married, but he wasn’t married yet, and his bride wasn’t really interested in marrying him. It was basically an arranged marriage, and she wanted another Vulcan, so she called for the duel between Kirk and Spock, figuring that whichever one won, they wouldn’t want her, and she’d be free to marry the other guy. Plus, TOS made Vulcan personal relationships seem much more structured, formal, and devoid of emotion, not the hot sweaty sex implied in this episode. Yeah, I know little Vulcans come from somewhere, but Vulcans we’re always portrayed as having very little emotion.
May 05, 2022, 06:50 PM
OcCurt
quote:
not the hot sweaty sex implied in this episode

Yeah, but the Pon Farr is all about the hot and sweaty...

Just sayin'...

Big Grin
May 06, 2022, 06:06 AM
Oz_Shadow
Will Mrs. McMurray be back?
May 06, 2022, 10:37 AM
pedropcola
I’ll try it but if it’s anything, and I mean anything, like Discovery then I’m out. Even my wife who wasn’t watching noticed the entire crew seeming to be women and beta men. It’s kind of crazy.

Also my wife, why is the chief protagonist on the new Obi Wan show a minority woman? Is that a necessary plot point or just a nod to wokeness? When will they understand we want a good character not a woman or an Indian or a fill in the blank. Their sexuality or skin color mean nothing, just write a good character. Quit beating us over the head about how awful white men are. Or even just men. That’s why everybody likes Pike. He doesn’t cry or do crazy shit. He’s a good actor with decent lines. Unlike Tilly for fucks sake. I don’t care if she’s the smartest bitch on the boat, no Navy in the universe would put her ass on the bridge. She isn’t bridge crew material. At all. It’s like making Jar Jar your science Officer. Come on.

I can’t even finish Discovery, it is so bad.
May 11, 2022, 05:53 PM
erj_pilot
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I’ll try it but if it’s anything, and I mean anything, like Discovery then I’m out. Even my wife who wasn’t watching noticed the entire crew seeming to be women and beta men. It’s kind of crazy.
Well...then don't bother. I just watched the pilot episode and aside from Pike and Spock and [maybe] the doctor, the amount of *ahem* female genitalia (originally wrote a very crude term) on the Enterprise and casting is VERY one-sided. Pretty much not a swingin' dick worthy of note in sight. Sorry to be so crude, but at the end of the day, I guess I'm not.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24