SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The early Dvorak symphonies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The early Dvorak symphonies Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
There’s no doubt that the later Dvorak symphonies, Nos. 7, 8, and 9, are his greatest.

But I’ve been listening to Nos. 1, 2, and 3, and finding them excellent too. My classical FM music station apps play Nos. 7, 8, and 9 often, but Nos. 1, 2, and 3 are seldom, if ever, presented. So they’re not only excellent, but also fresh. Highly recommended! I get them via Apple Music.

Working my way up to Nos. 4, 5, and 6!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Dvorak is a very underrated composer. He wrote a large amount of music in many genres, most of which is rarely performed. All that I've ever heard has been delightful and ... civilized.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you get to 7,8 and 9th symphonies, suggest listening to the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Christoph Von Dohnanyi on London Decca label. These were recorded in the 1980s and were a bit under the radar, atleast to me. He really had a feel for this music and I find myself listening to these recordings over more famous conductors/orchestra renditions.

If you want to hear an exquisite rendition of the "Song to the Moon" from his opera, "Rusalka", check out Lucia Popp's recording on her "Slavonic Opera Arias" disc (a reaaly fine disc overall!).

I can't say I'm a real fan of his operas, having heard "Rusalka" and "The Jakobin". For Czech opera, I prefer Smetana, especially the Z. Kosler/Czech Philharmonic recording of "The Bartered Bride" with Benackova and Dvorsky and also "Dalibor" (in German), conducted by R. Kubelik/Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra with Konya and Weathers. I'd also like to thow in a plug for J. Weinberger's "Schwanda, the Bagpiper", in the wonderful recording (in German) by H. Wallberg/Munich Radio Orchestra, with Popp, Prey and Jerusalem (a terrific trio!). The ONLY opera I've ever heard where the use of rather noisy atonal music makes sense; in Hell! (Don't worry; it ends happily and melodically/tonally!)

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jim.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
5th and 6th are good as well.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Agreed- those are underrated works!

I’ve had the privilege of conducting the 9th, but none of the others.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post