SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who was the King of 80s movie soundtracks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who was the King of 80s movie soundtracks? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Kenny Loggins, in my opinion.

If not, who else?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Lol we just discussed Kenny Loggins this evening as Footloose was on Pandora.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Byron Adams

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
During the next decade, Loggins recorded so many successful songs for film soundtracks that he became known as the King of the Movie Soundtrack. It began with "I'm Alright" from Caddyshack. Hits followed with "Footloose" and "I'm Free (Heaven Helps the Man)" from Footloose; "Meet Me Half Way" from Over the Top; and "Danger Zone" and "Playing with the Boys" from Top Gun. Loggins also performed "Nobody's Fool" for the film Caddyshack II. He performed as a member of USA for Africa on the famine-relief fundraising single "We Are the World", which led to an appearance performing "Footloose" at the Philadelphia leg of the July 13, 1985, Live Aid famine-relief dual-venue charity concert and global television broadcast.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loggins was pretty prolific, especially with title tracks. The 80's pushed movie soundtracks into popularity, Flashdance, Purple Rain, Pretty in Pink, Singles, Dirty Dancing; later on, Trainspotting, 8 Mile, Pulp Fiction, etc..

Stewart Copeland made a name for himself after The Police, by doing the music for a handful of movies: Rumble Fish, Wall Street, Talk Radio, etc..
Eric Clapton did the score for all the Lethal Weapon movies.
Danny Elfman was more involved with television shows after his time with Oingo Bingo
Lately, Nick Cave has been involved with a bunch of shows and movies, notably the title track of Peaky Blinders and on a few Taylor Sheridan projects.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
If king means working a lot, probably Jerry Goldsmith or Dave Grusin.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Stan Bush!
♪You got the touch...♪

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Queen. They were killing it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Harold Faltermeyer!

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
John Williams

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
John Williams
Well, yes. I'll hang the "Sorry We're Closed" sign.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, there's a difference between scores and soundtracks, right? Mr. Williams was responsible for scores, where Mr. Loggins was in soundtrack territory. I don't know the industry-accepted definition of soundtrack, but it seems as though the ones you can buy are often populated by popular music that was featured in the film.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I don't know about a king of soundtracks but I always loved the work of Vangelis and Tangerine Dream.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Well, there's a difference between scores and soundtracks, right?

Dis frikin guy... Roll Eyes

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What'd I do?!
Williams and Loggins just don't seem comparable, and therefore are not really "rankable" against one another. It seems the terms soundtrack and score are somewhat synonymous, but not completely. I maintain that someone who composes music to accompany an entire film is doing something different than a popular music star who may write original music to be used in a film, either in it's original form, or modified to accompany different scenes or moods.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basil Poledouris.

Score for Robocop (1987) among others.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Williams for all of the movies he did. Loggins only provided songs to two films in the decade, but they were wildly popular; hard to fault that choice either.

But I believe the most influential movies of the 80s were those damn John Hughes teen angst films, so as type the soundtracks of those films and their New Wave songs were the real Kings of the 1980s.

"don't you forget about me..."

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Loggins only provided songs to two films in the decade, ...

He had a song on the soundtrack of five movies in the '80s.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Zamfir.

Final answer.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Loggins only provided songs to two films in the decade, ...

He had a song on the soundtrack of five movies in the '80s.

I had to look it up. Looks like we're both wrong: it was SIX movies according to the Google Fi.

Embarrassing that I forgot about Caddyshack, and didn't know about his contribution to its sequel which I admit that I never saw. And just listening to his songs for 'Over the Top' and 'Rocky IV'...I guess I must've been too busy overdoing Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and the like at the time. I don't remember the songs at all, though that's probably no surprise since I'd never heard of 'Over the Top' until today (nauseatingly syrupy song) and didn't realize he had contributed anything to the soundtrack of the 'Rocky' film. After listening to the bits of the Rocky soundtrack just now on YT, his contribution seems completely forgettable while the songs I DO remember from that last film was the Survivor tune and James Brown's 'Living in America'. Yes his was a contribution for sure, but it feels like a kind of a gratuitous toss-in by the movie's producers ("See? We got Kenny Loggins. KENNY EFFIN LOGGINS! That'll sell tickets and soundtrack albums fer sure...").

So okay...I guess that does make him a legit candidate for King of the 80s Soundtracks. Razz

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post